AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard somewhere that you can get better HD signals with the old style lager satilite dishes?

As I am becoming more fed up with Direct TV's diminishing band width and lack of HD programming, Iwould like more info if someone knows anything about this?

Regards......... :confused:

·
Registered
815 Posts
HBO East & West

Showtime East & West

ACSN - sports

4DTV HD subs are pushing their program suppliers for Discovery HD

You can also use a separate type of receiver for PBS HD feed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SS,

Thanks for the info. I found the 4DTV link myself last night. There isn't a lot of information about it though.

In my area, I notice there are a lot of the old C band disk that are no longer in use. If I were going to buy one these used disk, I wonder what brand would be the desirable one to have? (I would want one that is reliable)

I just found this site which has a lot of answers for anyone else that is interested. BIG UGLY DISH

Regards.........

·
Registered
130 Posts
With C-Band you also get clean master broadcast 1st generation SD too.....blows away Directv and Dish Network picture quality.....more choices, 5.1 sound on many movie channels.....wonderful addition to a home theatre if you have the location for it...I have two set-ups....Had Directv....hated the blurry video....went back to the big dish....love it!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Antlerman

In my area, I notice there are a lot of the old C band disk that are no longer in use. If I were going to buy one these used disk, I wonder what brand would be the desirable one to have? (I would want one that is reliable)
Monterrey, Chapparal, G.I. analog C/Ku receivers seem to to have good longevity. Echostar products (HTS, Houston Tracker) have power supply problems as they age. Drake are good quality. Some people hate Uniden; others love them

Add the Motorola 905 digital sidecar to these analog receivers to get 4DTV. You will more choice on premium movie services, better PQ and lower subscription cost than pizza dishes.

HD can be added with the Motorola HDD200 HD decoder. You will the Canadian model HDD201 is cheaper because Star Choice subsidizes the cost.

If the BUD is of some age, you may find that you will need to upgrade the C or Ku LNB to a newer low noise units to get digitals correctly

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Antlerman

Monterrey, Chapparal, G.I. analog C/Ku receivers seem to to have good longevity. Echostar products (HTS, Houston Tracker) have power supply problems as they age. Drake are good quality. Some people hate Uniden; others love them

Add the Motorola 905 digital sidecar to these analog receivers to get 4DTV. You will more choice on premium movie services, better PQ and lower subscription cost than pizza dishes.

HD can be added with the Motorola HDD200 HD decoder. You will the Canadian model HDD201 is cheaper because Star Choice subsidizes the cost.

If the BUD is of some age, you may find that you will need to upgrade the C or Ku LNB to a newer low noise units to get digitals correctly

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Assuming one could pick up a good condition used dish and exterior hardware, what kind of outlay are you looking at for the electronics, including HD sidecar.......where can you find programing subscriptions, and the only big dish i ever had any experince with took forever to change satellites........how many satellites do you use on a regular basis now, and what roughly is the aquire time between them??

thanks..........

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dirk1843

Assuming one could pick up a good condition used dish and exterior hardware, what kind of outlay are you looking at for the electronics, including HD sidecar
Best forum I have found for BUD is www.4dtvforum.com

If you find used BUD with analog receiver, you can add digital with the Motorola 905 sidecar. It is available from numerous American dealers for about $180

The HD addon is the Motorola HDD201 HD decoder. Best prices are from www.virtualhelpelectronics.com and www.kusat.com - about $250

Joe Cornwall from Motorola mentioned today that plans are on track to add HDNet 2 & 3 (HD Movies) + HDNet4 (PPV sports) this fall.

The Discovery HD color bars are up now

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
How many satellites do you tune to on a regular basis, and what is the acquire time average?? Like i said before, my last experince with c-band was many years ago.........i feel like the hardware must be quicker now.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.