AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered Motorola’s hi-def decoder (HDD201) for my C-Band system. 2 Questions:

1) Should the HDD201, which will be connected to my A/V receiver with component cable, be also connected with S-Video to my HTPC (which would then clean up the non-hi-def signals)? Or will component handle all signals?

2) Is Dscaler recommended for a hi-def signal? Should I feed the hi-def signals to the HTPC?

Since analog channels from the 4DTV are not handled by S-Video (thereby requiring a composite connection to my HTPC), is my solution of using 3 connections (Component for hi-def, S-Video for other digital, and composite for analog) from the 4DTV/HDD201 the right solution?

It just seems to me that 3 simultaneous connections might somehow compromise the image. Curious to hear how others have fared with their connections.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You have the 4dtv 920 reciever I take it? (since the 922 analog video does output through s-video)

I wouldn't recommend watching the SD signals upconverted through the hd200 as it severely softens the picture. I run the composite out ( I like the picture better than s-video) into my HTPC and let dscaler handle it from there. Then run vga out into the projector.

There is no reason and I don't think its even possible to try and feed the HD signal into your HTPC. Just run the component output to the display.(I sure wish the HD200 had VGA out though!)

Personally, I would not run both s-video and composite out to your HTPC. You can, but just requires another cable run, and you'd have to keep switching inputs in dscaler. I tried both outputs and actually liked the composite out better. Your milage may vary.

BTW, what are you going to be using as a display device?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RickE…

You suggested I choose between S-Video or composite out to the HTPC. But I think I need both since S-Video is reputedly superior to composite but only carries digital on my 920 4DTV receiver. Then again, it’s interesting you found a better image coming form the lowly composite connection. Guess I’ll give that a try.

Currently, I connect both S-Video and composite to my Yamaha RXV-1200 receiver, then connect to HTPC (running Dscaler) with VGA, then connect to Panasonic 711XU front projector.with VGA.

So when the HDD201 arrives, I take it you suggest I add a third connection, using the HDD201’s component out to connect to the receiver?

Don’t mind doing it, but it wasn’t intuitive this would be the optimal approach.

And with 3 different connections, does the hi-def signal only pass through the component cable into the receiver and then into the projector?

Or does the hi-def signal also run through the connected 920 4DTV receiver, eventually ending up in Dscaler?

·
Registered
877 Posts
The HDD200 comes with a cable that will hook it up to the 4DTV. This cable passes thru the HD signal from the 4DTV. The signal is then output fom your HDD200 directly to your display device. The 4DTV does nothing with the signal but pass it on to the HDD200.

Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you only wanted one connection, you could just use the HD200 and send only the component outs to the projector..but again I think the hd200 upconversion on SD sucks, to put it mildly.

As far as the s-video vs composite debate..try them both, see if you can tell a difference. I have the option of using either because again the newer 922 4dtv reciever does send the digitals out over composite too, but I compared them, and the s-video out seemed to have more noise in the picture for what ever reason.

There is no other way to get HD to your projector than using the 3 component outputs ( vga out would of made this so easy).

Curious though, why are you sending the HD component through your reciever 1st? Just seems like an unnecesary step, imo of course.

Also. I have heard good things about the Panasonics up conversion. You might try the SD 4dtv stuff straight into the projector and compare that to dscaler. I'd be curious to hear how they compared.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I imagine the htpc will do the best job of matching the resolutions to your tv but the decoder does only three so using it for other than 1080 on my RP just doesnt't cut it.

My higher quality composite cable used direct for the older gen. 4dtv direct to the rp hd tv or thru my RX-V1 delivers excellent overall performance on regular programming.

S-video direct from 4dtv to another straight analog set will offer some 3d with the better source programming.

The 201 was never built for this according to those in the know on the 4dtv forum and of course you only get two HBO and two Showtime IF you have the analog packages.

It beats nothing but there are a lot of reruns on both premiums so don't expect daily watching of new stuff.

In my opinion, the picture on the small directdish of just the 199 HD is better. at least on my equipment and the variety allows more interesting viewing.

Being in a rural area, I am still waiting for ota, your situation may be different.

That said, overall 4dtv watching beats all the other available satellite or cable formats hands down!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.