AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching installing a c band BUD (Big Ugly Dish) at our second home. I do have some tall trees and need to get professional on site advice.

But first, I'd like to know what experience do you have with this combination? Is it worth the expense and hassle over a 14x18 small dish?

Right now I could go with any system or combination. I do plan to record programs for later viewing and am thinking about the HiPix card in my computer.

Suggstions appreciated!

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It is worth it to me. Use a GI 920 with HDD 200 decoder. Presently get two HBO and two Shjowtime HDTV channels, and the image is stunning. Better than the small dish renderings I have seen. Also better than the best DVD's upconverted to 960P by HTPC using the latest best boards according to our HTPC forum. Problem is the cost of initial installation. HDTV channels are on C3, T7 and G0, which arein a WSW direction for both of us. (I live in NH.) Also if you can find one, there are other receivers out there that can receive otherdigital programming but no other HDTV as yet.

Bill

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I am very pleased with my HDD200 configuration and satellite gear. There is a wealth of information available at the 4DTV Forum .

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DiCecco:
If you have the 4DTV and the HD201 you will get HBO and Showtime, but if you buy a Starchoice receiver you can also receive all US network HD programing on Starchoice. Leno on NBC, PBS HD shows, CBS programing in HD and ABC shows in HD. Ther is no US network HD on Dish network or Direct TV. The HD201 is the way to go if you have no OTA hd where you live or if you want to time shift. I get up at 3:00 am everyday for work so I like to watch Leno at 8:30 pm.

I am glad you brought that up. I forgot to mention the "Canadian solution." Also expressvu is doing US network HDTV in mpeg2/dvb hdtv.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Don't expect to get any broadcast network HDTV from c-band or ku band big dish. Currently CBS uses DC2 4:2:2 not compatible with DC2 and Fox uses a non standard transmissions to distribute their feeds in HD.PBS, ABC and NBC use MPEG2/dvb to transmit their HDTV feed.PBS and NBC HDTV are currently on KU band big dish and NBC uses an inclined satellite that is hard to track to distribute its HD content. WB uses another non standard version of mpeg2/dvb 4:2:2 and NBC will be moving to this format soon which will not work with a DC2 HD rcvr. UPN isn't doing anything yet and when they do they will be using the same system as CBS for HDTV.So if you want Broadcast network programming you can't get it with the HDD200. Save your money and buy a DTV or dish HD rcvr that does OTA HD.Ask your self if the investment to get 2 movie channels that are on Dish Network already is worth the added expense. Don't forget to consider cable if available. Some companies have good HD offerings and you get to use their box.

[This message has been edited by satpro (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you have the 4DTV and the HD201 you will get HBO and Showtime, but if you buy a Starchoice receiver you can also receive all US network HD programing on Starchoice. Leno on NBC, PBS HD shows, CBS programing in HD and ABC shows in HD. Ther is no US network HD on Dish network or Direct TV. The HD201 is the way to go if you have no OTA hd where you live or if you want to time shift. I get up at 3:00 am everyday for work so I like to watch Leno at 8:30 pm.

------------------

Thomas DiCecco

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is all pretty swift! We live in the good ole USA, and we can't even get our own networks in HD, BUT in Canada they can! That is the biggest bunch of crap. I live in a remote area in the USA, and there is no OTA HD (only one SD OTA channel!) in my area at all. My only option for HD is Dish or DirectTV. I chose Dish. BUT, just knowing that in Canada they can get all the USA Networks in HD through satellite and I can't is enough to really piss me off. What a joke all this HD stuff is... We are the leaders of the free world, but soo far BEHIND!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of the FCC bureaucrats and the network execs.

[This message has been edited by satpro (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
So if you want Broadcast network programming you can't get it with the HDD200. Save your money and buy a DTV or dish HD rcvr that does OTA HD.Ask your self if the investment to get 2 movie channels that are on Dish Network already is worth the added expense.

[This message has been edited by satpro (edited 06-24-2001).][/b]
As someone else said, a Starchoice receiver, purchased and authorized through a Canadian broker, will work with the HDD200 and bring you the US networks. With HBO and Showtime you'll get the east and west coast HD feeds, and it is likely that future HD services will be delivered by C band to cable headends. As with Showtime and HBO, as these services go on the air in HD, they'll likely be available by subscription from C band program suppliers. And last but not least, SD on Cband is much better quality than either DTV or DISH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.