AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any feedback on C-band Satellite service?

I'm think of forgeting Dish and DirectTV all together.

Textc>Textc>

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Try
http://www.delphi.com/4dtv/

On the plus side, there are many, many more channels in all formats, analog, Digicipher, MPEG2, SD, HDTV etc. You can watch some network backhauls and raw commercial free feeds, and you can get many channels for free. You can order all channels ale carte instead of in tiers. The picture quality on nearly all of the channels is significantly better than you will get from Dish, Direct or others since these are the first generation feeds of most of the channels. For the video 'purist' this is the only way to go.

On the down side, the equipment is more expensive (easily a couple $K, and more if you decide to add a variety of receiver formats). You will have to put in a 7-12 foot satellite dish in your yard (not allowed by most HOA's), and you will have to do a lot of your own maintenance.

It is more of a hobby than a service. If you are ready for a project check out the forum I listed (you will have to set up a password) and you will find many people ready to help.

------------------

jm in Boulder

[This message has been edited by JMartinko (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll look into it.

Do you see a problem get a used dish? I may have access to one but I what to may sure there wouldn't be a problem. I'm think of getting a 4DTV and HD decoder.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
You would want to check to make sure there are not any missing or bent panels which would indicate damage and cause a loss of antenna gain. Most people also want Ku-Band reception for the many channels there as well. If the mesh on the dish has holes large enough for a pencil to pass through, it will probably not work at Ku-Band. A lot of people are bailing out of the BUD arena since the DBS route is more convenient for the average viewer and less hastle with HOA's. There are a lot of used dishes around these days. Check on the delphi forum and you are likely to get help finding one.

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
I had a big dish for many years and I happily gave it up for the small dish- now I dont have to worry about realigning it after a storm, and the eyesore in my backyard is gone- I can change channels in seconds rather than minutes. Overall, the experience with the small dish has been significantly better: to me a big dish is a step back.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin:
I had a big dish for many years and I happily gave it up for the small dish- now I dont have to worry about realigning it after a storm, and the eyesore in my backyard is gone- I can change channels in seconds rather than minutes. Overall, the experience with the small dish has been significantly better: to me a big dish is a step back.
To me, the difference between a large dish and a small dish is analogous to the difference in performance between high end A/V components and cheap entry level receivers. There is no comparison in terms of standard definition video quality. The large dish wins hands down. On the other hand, if all you want is HD and convenience then a small dish is a great choice.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Different strokes.....

As I stated in my earlier post, there are pros and cons to the BUD. I believe the video purist will always choose a BUD. Convenience is obviously on the side of the DBS dish. As I stated, the BUD is a hobby, not a service. SD quality will always be superior on the BUD, and since there are many more satellites to choose from, the BUD will always win with bandwidth. This likely means more and better access to new HD channels, as well as less compression in the future. Does this mean that every channel will be available on the BUD? No. No more than they will all be available on Dish or DTV. I do believe that in general there will always be more HD available on the BUD than any other format, plus it is the best quality SD available, I chose the BUD many years ago, but now augment it with a service from north of the border. Others choose DBS for different reasons. Music87 asked for feedback, and it appears he is getting it. That is the purpose of this forum.

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
You must have gone to a smaller TV when you went with the smaller dish (talk about stepping back)...otherwise you'd see exactly why the BUD is a better solution. The only "eyesore" I ever worry about is that which I'd have to look at on my screen if I were to be forced to convert to a small dish. I'm never giving up my C-band!

I've had my C-band setup for 8 years now, and I've never had to realign anything, nor has any part ever failed. I did upgrade my corotor and added an LNB so that I could pick up Ku band about two years ago, but thats the one and only time I've actually had to touch the dish.

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had my BUD for about 9 years. The only work it has needed is in the winter a branch fell on it and bent it. Insurance paid to have it replaced. Right now it needs aligning but only because my son and I moved it ourselves when we put on an addition. We really dont watch it anymore because we now have DishNetwork and 2 recievers. Ontill we got the second reciever we watched it alot. f I wanted to go HDTV with the BUD, it was going to cost a forture, and then I really would not get much if any more HDTV from what I understand. The picture quality was great with the bud (when it was aligned properly). Over all, it was a VERY sturdy setup and very depndable. Ther eis no other option for TV here so satellite is our salvation, one way or the other..

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have had a BUD and 4DTV for years; the picture quality is excellent, much more flexibility with more programming at one third to one half the price.

I also have the DISH 6000 which I bought for HD; their price to BUD owners was too good to pass up. (I wanted a OTA capable STB). DISH HD is great, but the quality for SD tv is really poor versus the BUD. I plan on only buying HD programming on DISH in the future; all my SD viewing will be OTA, DVD, or 4DTV. HD sets don't like DBS for regular TV.

Mike

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Please see Things Parabolic and The Lair at my website for the sad tale that is my adiction to the finest video delivery mechanism available.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm running a Pioneer Pro710 so i am looking for lots of HD programming I have a Mit HD DriectTV reciver for my OTA. I trying to justify getting a BUD for the HD content.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.