AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first projector and have been following this forum for a few months. I would like to watch more than dvd movies after my purchase, but fear that a 120" image from DirectTV would be unwatchable. Can anyone with experience veiwing c-band (analog or digital) tell me what to expect. I have been looking at the Pan 75u and recently the HP XB31 and would use the iScan Plus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the majority of the channels be dvd quality? I am sure there will be exceptions, but sports movies etc. Are the digital channels available on the 4dtv compressed similar to DirecTV? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Rich, I lived with, and loved, C-band for 4 years. I received no digital channels via the big dish, but all those "old world" analog channels I did recieve were better in quality than the vast majority of the "latest and greatest" "digital" channels on our "small dish" system. The exceptions, of course, are HDTV, which is superior to the C-band analogue, and PPV stuff, which still is only equal to C-band. Audio is better in digital, but only marginally so, in my opinion.

Obviously, over time there will be less and less available on C-band analogue.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have both Cband and Directv. The Directv on regular stations is almost unwatchable--very soft. However the Cband analog and digital stations are excellent. I also have the HDD 200 for watching HDTV on the Cband which is outstanding. BTW I am using a 100" 4:3 screen and a Sony D50Q with a IEV 4000 doubler/quad.

The one thing I like about the Directv is the ability to get local HDTV stations. It is one of the first RCA DTC100 and has performed very well.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.