AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have got a lot of great ideas from this forum, and will be putting it to good use.

First let me say that this room will not even come close to some of the excelent rooms I have seen on here.

I am an audiophile with a limited budjet.

I really should call this my entertainment wall as it will be the only thing I will be changing.

The first pictures are what is there now.

I had my first set-back as the sale of my old tv fell through.

Well the show must go on.

So far I have bought
LG PK550 60" Plasma
Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver
HTD HD-W65 High Definition In-Wall Speakers

This is a quick sketch of what I want to do

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK Started by emptying out the closet behind the wall.

I will keep updating

OK, today I ran a new Cat 6 network wire to see if I can stream 1080p movies from my WHS.

Perfect, Zero Lag.

Before I was using Wireless N, but still could not stream 1080p content through my WD Live box

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Santa came a bit early

Got some stuff in I thought I would share.

Haved stalled a bit, having problems finding someone to buy my 55" rear projection

Anyways, these will keep me happy till then

Wall mount for 60" Plasma

In-Wall Speakers

New AVR Pioneer VSX-1120 K

DIY AVR Rack (Thanks to a fellow Canuck's post I read on here)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohhh, Lookie what got delivered today!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, enough gear time to work

So I started to position my speakers using laser guide (I had this thing collecting dust for a long time...)

Now I have come across a problem, my TV is 54.8" wide, so left and right inwall speakers not a problem.

Problem is center speaker is right in line with a 2x4, now I need to bring someone in to see if that wall is a load bearing wall...

I plan to take out a section and build a window box around it. Geez, nothing is simple....

For those who like spaghetti, here is what was there when I took everything apart

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Things are starting to move, here are the latest pic's, I know TV is off center, it will be fixed as I have to modify the studs in the wall.

Left Speaker

Right Speaker

Yes my basement is becoming a mess

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well finally got the speakers in.

I also moved the mount as far left as I can.

Installed power for the TV

Now just left with building AVR rack

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK small update,

Ran all speaker wires, HDMI and Xbox Kinect.

Found one problem with my TV, the HDMI plus is at the bottom of the TV and ended up destroying a brand new ver 1.4 HDMI cable as the TV was sitting on the cable and bent the connector. Not sure if the connector on the tv is damaged, but now have it hooked up to HDMI on the side.

XBox Kinect wall mount

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967
Santa came a bit early

DIY AVR Rack (Thanks to a fellow Canuck's post I read on here)
I used pretty much the sames style rack for my DYI build. Just started it yesterday in fact.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started mine 2 weeks ago, but I am in the home streach now, thanks to help from a friend.

I am taking my time, but need to get it done before Xmas...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big difference when you get someone who knows construction involved

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 /forum/post/19681812

I started mine 2 weeks ago, but I am in the home streach now, thanks to help from a friend.

I am taking my time, but need to get it done before Xmas...

Just in time for the WJC...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well got the framing done, ran 2 lines for subs (I only have one sub but amp has 2 sub outs)

Cleaned up some wires.

Tomorrow should get the shelving in, then I can finally test speakers and amp.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well everything is installed, all I need to do is paint...Maybe next year, which is next week

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler /forum/post/19724193

Well done! I found your thread by reading toms thread.. I am about to do something similar to you - can you post some more closeup / detailed pics of the rack - especially the rear?

thanks!

jim

Thanks Jim

It's not as big as Tom or Japan Dave, but I work within my budget.

Now for the rack, the rails are screwed into 2x4's. The hardest part is getting them level as my wall and floor inside the crawl space is not level.

From top to bottom it is off by 1/8", but is only noticeble on the top, but will hide it with faceplates. The front opening of the rack is square and plum.

The recessed opening has metal corning used for gyprock. I will be able to attach my faceplates to this.

One thing I had to tell my friend who helped with the opening, is to leave room for the faceplates, as he was going to frame it to the opening.

Here are some close up pics, I hope it helps, and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Extra shelf

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got to close up the back of the wall

The sound deadening insulation was still good, I just replaced what I removed for the installation.

I used foam on the beams stop potential vibrations.

It was a common sense thing, not sure if it will make a difference, but for $5, why not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK here are some more pics, painted the wall and molding, still need to do some touch-ups.

The pics are bitter sweet as Canada was leading when I took these pics, but blew it in the third...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts