AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see where Circuit City is finally giving up. They have declared bankrupcy and will be closing all US stores. It is my understanding that the stores in Canada are not affected.

The liquidation sales are suppose to start as early as tomorrow (Saturday). If you have a C. City close to you, and have been looking at buying a Home Theater system, now may be the time.

But remember, all sales are final. If you purchase a system, make sure it is what you want, because you will not be able to return it.

Happy shopping!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/15576247

I was there today & prices seemed really high. $112 for a Logitech G-9 Mouse?

Maybe they have to mark them up, so they can mark them down and make you feel like you're getting a deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read several articles about the liquidation and the consensus seems to be that the prices will initially go up. The standard practice seems to be to return all the pricing to MSRP. Then the liquidators will slowly reduce prices from there.

I went to a liquidation sale at CompUSA and didn't find anything that I considered a great deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is very bad news.... expect onkyo prices to rise a bit now that their number 1 big box retailer is DOA.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bottom Line do your research and know what you want, reguardless of Liquidation or not, there will be Deals but You'll still need to do your Research. Good Luck to all those that work at CC

·
Registered
308 Posts
I went today too and was disappointed. My wife was telling me the same thing that she was reading something that said they mark prices up then start discounting.

Everything that wasn't marked "sale" was only 10% off. Waste of my time. The place was a mess too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahead /forum/post/15579026

This is very bad news.... expect onkyo prices to rise a bit now that their number 1 big box retailer is DOA.

Maybe BB will start to carry Onkyo

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I understand, there really won't be any great deals for awhile. Everything will be 10% off the MSRP so a lot of items might be more expensive before they start to drop. A lot of people won't know any better and just buy it because it is on sale even though it won't be. I'd love to pick up a nice Onkyo HTIB if they drop though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From the reports I've read, it's almost not even worth leaving the house for. The CC stores are crowded now with early hunters who are attracted to anything "discount" and "liquidation" but like the Logitech example above, CC has ridiculous pricing.

Also, most of the manager staff are gone and have been taken over by the liquidation company. So we aren't even dealing with CC's pricing models, just some random company hoping to get rid of things.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a lot of experience shopping at these liquidation "sales" due to the number of closures up here around Detroit. All prices are immediately put at MSRP or higher. So depending on the product it might have to be 50% or more "off" before it even gets back to regular store price levels.

Early on there are some decent buys on inexpensive accessories like car audio install gear and pc networking stuff, but that is about it. The MSRP is so inflated on things like TV's and home audio get it takes quite awhile before the prices are decent. Things that usually sell at MSRP (think PS3/Xbox games/Cd's, etc.) have a true discount but are cleared out very early and you could still do better online or used.

Having said that, I picked up some Boston Acoustics stuff and a Moda TV stand at 70% off which were ok deals, and there were still some Klipsch and Monster speakers around too that were fair prices. Denon receivers wouldn't have reached a below internet price point until they were 70% off, and they were displays. They were long gone by the 40% off point.

It took a long time (weeks) for things to reach the 60% off point, while 70-90 were in the last few days. There was nothing new or complete left at the 80-90% off days.

Basically, you might save a small % vs. the very good online deals, which is nice if the stuff is still new in box and you can just pick it up. But don't be fooled by the % off. Go early to see what interests you, and set the % off where it makes sense to you to buy.

In the last week they started putting out fixtures and cables and stuff. Very nice heavy duty component+audio bound cables were eventually $5, splitters for a buck, stuff like that. They sold everything down to the racks and office supplies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts