AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have demoed the C3X quite a few times and the quality of the picture has differed substantially. The first one I demoed had excellent shadow detail and depth to the point where it looked almost holographic with HD. Even when I attended a sim2 event it didn't look as good as that one. Other times I have seen it, the shadow detail was lost, it seemed to rise out of black to early and the image depth looked above average but nothing special. I have read in various threads and reviews that the gamma setting makes a big difference but I have never played around with it in the user mode. I thought it might be software but the first demo was 6 months ago and I haven't seen it better since. What concerns me is whether this is purely a case of calbration or whether specific models (older perhaps?) differ in quality. When you compare the reviews on projectorreviews and avscience to the one on avrev.com they sound like different projectors and my demo experiences mirror the diversity of these reviews. Can anyone help or clarify this for me?

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
My C3X threw one stunning picture. Cycling through the gamma settings can really show may different looks to the projector. Some show a lot of shadow detail while others give that CRT punch to the image with the other selections falling in between. Im sure the difference you saw was due to different gamma settings between each machine as selected by the likes of the installer.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alan, I hope this is the case. Have you tried recreating your settings on another C3X? I read that the latest software updates improve the processing, is it noticeably different to older revisions?

EDIT: And which menu is that info in?

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
The last 3 C3X Lite's that I've been called in to adjust after installation were not too impressive out of the box. They arrived with the color space set at #9 when d65 was achieved at #17. Also, the brightness and contrast were each set at 50, when C3X's generally calibrate at brightness around 44-45 and contrast 66-69. Changing these basic settings and choosing a good gamma setting makes a huge difference.

You would think a projector in this price range would come out of the box in a calibrated state, but unfortunately this has not proven to be the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.