AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following are some screens from the C3X1080 as requested by member rsbeck and a couple of other interested parties, as well as the forum in general. All the shots are hand held with a cheap Sony camera. The images are massively compressed so dont fully represent the image quality. They are subject to all the issues and limitations that befall all screen shots. Some are old ones I've shown before, most are new. IMHO, and that of many others, the C3X1080 smokes anything below its price, and to better it you need to spend double. A seriously badass little powerhouse.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Peter, behave.

1. 300. A great deal of detail and sharpness is extracted from what is famously a very grainy movie. Very few PJs can do this properly.

2. Similar points to note as before. The intentionally crushed blacks are well in evidence here.

3. Nice eye detail,coloration and artistic overexposure from Aeon Flux

4. Ditto.

5. Jet blacks and nuclear whites on the same shot. No hazing or washout anywhere with this machine. The delicacy of the 4 object tails and the starfield detail are never lost despite the bright flaring. This scene is a good illustration of 3 chip DLP superiority....Huge ANSI, big lumens and great color.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. Gears of war on the 360. Upscaled from 720p. The scaling and other processing on the Sim2 VP suite is top drawer, and leaves other PJs for dead. Very 3d in real life with great depth.

2. Ice Age2. CGI shots are always good demo material, usually handled well on any PJ.

3. As above but shows good detail and superb color.

4. Polar Express.

5. Zulu. Just an amazing transfer. I love this particular shot, despite the reds hitting the faces from the jackets, if you look you'll see different parts of faces getting different amounts. You can see the apprehension on the two privates faces, as thousands of Zulus are wailing and screaming.

Look at the sergeants face.You just know that rock solid, old and bold, seen it all before, stiff upper lipped stalwart is looking straight at the Zulus and thinking " Oh yes, welcome to my world, bitches. Now, lets party".

Best character in the movie IMO.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Kong, obviously. Nice detail, shading and highlights.

2. The attack on Kong. The C3X really pulls out incredible city detail. It also shows up Compositing issues on any film.

3. Typical HDTV shot.

4. As above. All these shots were clean as a whistle.

5. A shot from a very impressive opening scene of a crap film.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are some geometry, CA, MC and install accuracy shots. They are the least visually impressive, but the most important.

1. Single pixel cross. Taken from about 2 inches. No CA or MC visible. Its so close that the camers was at an cute angle to the screen. You can tell this, the left hand side of the horizontal is thicker than the right, its its closer. Very high ANSI, no lightspill at all. My camera really strugles with this sort of shot.

2. Vertical at screen edge. Again, great registration with no visible funkiness. Shot from around 1 inch from screen. The camera cannot resolve the pixel gaps due to the high contrast. It is also finding it impossible to deal with the extreme boundary contrast on the right hand side of the line.

3. This is a 5 pixel line. It allows a camera to show MC and CA without the camera adding its own effects, as would be seen with max contrast. No visible nastiness.

4. This is just a simple illustration of install accuracy. There is about 1/3 of a pixel overhang. If your monitor is good enough, you'll see it in the black. More accurate than 99.999% of installs. A good PJ deserves the best possible install. The camera is really struggling to cope here, and with the next one.

5. What happens with an obsessively deranged installer, a laser level, straight through alignment and a 3 axis micro adjustable mount. 100% pixel perfect alignment. That took 4 hours and IMHO is quite an achievement.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Great shots, fun to look at, and sort of like methadone while I wait for my C3X1080 to be installed. Thank you for posting these!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a low down, hijacking mofo.

In the words of Roman Moronie....."You fargin', sneeky bastidge!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmQPdW7udy8

Great cap, I'll need to check that out. My dream would be if all those old Universal horror films were available in BD with pristine PQ. Atmospheric lighting with a ton of dry-ice, and Im in heaven

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removed the links and inserted the images directly for ease of viewing.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/14284613

Those Brits are kicking butt with their BD transfers...

It must have been really hard for you not to throw a Sim2 diss in there.

Ive got some screens somewhere of the original Italian Job, done by the same guys that did Zulu. Its easily on a par with Grand Prix

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/14284667

Ive got some screens somewhere of the original Italian Job, done by the same guys that did Zulu. Its easily on a par with Grand Prix

I wish you could sneak a Red camera in under your jacket for some of these screenings

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
BD 30 software ver 2.2 now available

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/14284667

Im so impressed I may recommend it for a minor saturn moon: CALYPSO

Can this projector do a 2-1 aspect ratio? Where it crops 16 by 9 content unscaled, but uses a separate memory with slight electronic zoom to fill the height of a 2.0 ar screen and crop the sides? CAN IT CM?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/14285421

Can this projector do a 2-1 aspect ratio? Where it crops 16 by 9 content unscaled, but uses a separate memory with slight electronic zoom to fill the height of a 2.0 ar screen and crop the sides? CAN IT CM?

It doesnt have zoom memories.

It does, as with all Sims, have fully programmable AR in both axes. 3 user ARs per memory, 6 memories per input. Thats 18 per source, all with assignable 12v trigger or not.

It could therefor crop the sides and expand the height. Whatever number you dial in to crop the sides, you apply the same number vertically, to restore perfect geometry.

Does that help or am I missing the point?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

I am talking about scaling zoom not servo zoom lens.

For 16 x 9 content you fill the sides, for 2.35 content you fill the heigh and crop a little on the sides, that way you maintain MAXIMUM ANSI CONTRAST and what else? MTF!!!

seems to me that you just treat the zoomed in setting as another aspect ratio. It seems to do it.

Before someone says that I got this Idea from Tony Grimani who is now spousing 2-1 aspect ratio, Free is my witness that I recommended this aspect ratio as a good compromise for rear screens (in 2006).

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/14285421

Im so impressed I may recommend it for a minor saturn moon: CALYPSO

Finally seeing the light.

Seriously, you should borrow one and give it a try. Nothing below an HT5000 is as good.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/14285426

Totally out of the Blue , but thanks anyways, what is the upgrade, LFE Bug?

I think he may be referring to some handshake issues with the C3X1080 and the BD30 that have been resolved, but I believe that was done with v1.8.

If its not that, its just random mentalism.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts