AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a love it or hate it. Looks great on Blu-ray. I was going to get it through Amazon, but their shipping said 1-3 weeks. Best Buy actually had it. Was a little bit more, but worth it. Nice transfer, good extras. Includes Eli Roth's bizarre shorts.

I like how Blu-ray has matured, and we can get great movies for under $20.00. Sure some are still $39.95, but the discounts are impressive. I'm overall happy with how things are in the physical media realm. Hopefully the one other guy (they had two copies at BB), will be happy too...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'll be watching this shortly...and I'll report back.

Here in Canada, the Best Buy had this for $9.99! That's the cheapest price that I've ever seen for a new BD in-store on release day (I've seen that as a sale price on older BD's...never a new release). The Best Buy here had about 10 copies.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great deal. It was more than that at BB, and still more at Amazon. Glad to see BDs at 9.99 (even CDN).

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just watched Cabin Fever. I think I'd best describe the experience as "OK".

The basic plot of college kids in an isolated place isn't new...and wasn't really new when the movie was made. I'd hoped for something more but the movie was pretty standard stuff. There's nothing really wrong with "standard stuff" but I always hope to discover something that lifts a formula movie above the crowd.

The BD has it's good points and bad points. I really didn't see any EE or DNR so it seems largely free of any serious digital manipulation. On the other hand, it was a bit flat with some crushed blacks and what appeared to be some compression artifacting. The bit rate was on the low side and the above problems would likely have benefited from a higher bit rate.

The sound was clear and strong and, not unexpectedly, very front and center heavy.

So everything was OK. The movie wasn't especially good but it was OK. The transfer wasn't especially good but it was OK. That's the two letter summation.

It's not a movie I'd want to pay $22.00 to own. But the price is quite reasonable (and downright cheap at our Canadian Best Buy). If you are a fan of this kind of movie (and I am), it's easy to justify adding this to your collection for the price. However, these movies are an acquired taste and this isn't for non-fans.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I want to add some information here to correct something I read on another site.

There is an incorrect posting on another large BD forum where I am NOT registered. Since I read the other forum but can't post, I want to make a clarification for those who see the incorrect info.

It was INCORRECTLY posted that the Canadian disc is different with only a 93 minute cut and DD 5.1 sound.

That is ABSOLUTELY WRONG. I watched this last night and I checked the specifications very carefully on my equipment...not just reading the cover (which gives the correct info anyway). This is the 98 minute cut. I checked the onscreen read out multiple times. The sound is 7.1 DTS-HD MA...I have 7.1 channel receiver and I checked the read outs. Extras are the same as the U.S disc because this IS the U.S. disc.

The only difference I could detect is the syntax on the cover which does not specifically use the word "Unrated"...probably because the Canadian rating system is different it carries an "18A" rating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.