AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, every Tuesday I go and get the latest releases to watch for the week(my local rental store lets me keep the dvds 7 days) so I had to flip a coin to see if the main feature for that night would be Cabin Fever or Once upon a time in Mexico, both movies highly anticipated by me. Cabin Fever won. I didn't. Wow, what a dissappointment. I read a lot of good reviews of the movie but this movie does not stack up against 28 days later, Jeeper Creepers 2 or even (gasp!) Wrong Turn. There is no oh my god factor in the movie. I watched it and thought to myself so what? I have a big picture(106") big sound (three powered subs), and there wasn't that much suspense in the movie. If you are going to make a bad movie at least make it sound like a good one. The surround channels are hardly used, even for the music. I had to turn the brightness down on my projector because the movie has a slight bright push to it, not to mention some EE. Maybe I had to high of expectations because I was disappointed and the movie was no where as good as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I hated the movie, too. It was really lousy. IMO.

Wrong Turn was cool, though.

Nich

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
ditto.

Yuk.

I thought David Hess soundtracks died a quiet death back in the seventies.

;)

This film was WAY over-hyped.:eek:

Just wait. Someday you'll be able to pick it up in a two-pack. Paired with "Soul Survivors".........as it should be.

:D

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nich
I hated the movie, too. It was really lousy. IMO.

Wrong Turn was cool, though.

Nich
you have Hillbillies in Denmark too?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Rented Cabin Fever DVD last night. Completely unfocused script and plot. I think they just rounded up a bunch of no name actors , got em to cuss a lot, threw blood everywhere and said "We made a Scary Movie". However it may go down as a Cult Classic for bad movies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The thing to remember about Cabin Fever is that it's not really a horror. It's actually more of a dark comedy. If you watch it with this in mind I think you'll find it to be a little better than you expect.

SK

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I will say one positive thing about Cabin F. The Deputy Sheriff on a bicycle "You're a Party Man". He had a bizzaro part with lines to match. He was the most interesting character. But wait tell it hits cable. Paleeze.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I saw it last night. I actually wanted all the characters to die as they were so lame. This movie was horrible, it made Dreamcatcher look like a freaking Masterpeace.

I did like Wrong Turn and 28 days later up to the wierdmilitary angle though. Have yet to see Jeepers Creeprs 2.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah, you have to look at this as a comedy to get anything out of it. Bigger budgets have made much worse movies but smaller budgets have made better. Keep your finger on the FF button!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Is there an unrated DVD? It's rare these days to find a horror film available only in an R rated version.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Cabin Fever is by no means a great film but the reason people liked it is because it is one big inside joke for horror film fans. Every scene is either directly lifted from a classic horror film or a reference to one.

Watch the film as a dark comedy looking for all the references and you will see why some people liked it. You can litterally play name that scene throughout the entire movie.

Personally I thought it was fun to see... once, but I won't be picking this one up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This type of garbage will continue to be produced as long as people pay to see it (either in theaters or renting it ). There is more waste generated in this genre than in any other because it DOES make money for them. They are not produced for artistic value. Why do people waste an hour and a half of their life and their hard earned money on this? Someone please explain, because I do not get it.

Jerry, have you ever checked IMDb?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you despise the genre why bother to come here and trash a movie that was doomed to fail in your eyes? So far as Horror being the big boon of crap movies your right. There is a massive amount of them good and bad. The problem is how hard is it to suspend disbelief. THAT IS EXACTLY what you are to do when you watch a Horror movie. We program ourselves to ignore the intangible and discredit monsters etc. So when the day is done we consistently reinforce that such things can't exist and if they did it would not be to us. Most of them are crap but that is the state of ALL genre's that aren't what the public is clamoring for. Most of the horror fans that I know can enjoy a bad movie for the sake of it being bad. As long as it can entertain I'll watch it. I'm sick of people thinking there has to be some grand form of artistic value to any movie made. I prefer to watch movies that entertain me If that movie happens to be artistically profound then great. As long as I enjoyed it that's all I care. There doesn't have to be some profound meaning to everything in life.

:eek:

end rant

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I didn't hate Cabin Fever, actually found it to be a sorta incomplete dark-comedy sendup of the horror genre.

About 20 minute in I suddenly realized that the movie played as if custom made for MST-3K.

After listening to several of the commentaries on the dvd and watching the making-of stuff it would appear that from a production standpoint this was the modern day equivalent of an Ed Wood movie--one of the North Carolina financiers threatened to pull his money unless his daughter was given a part, production was halted and actors and crew went unpaid for 5 months when the money dried up, etc.

The whole thing seemed doomed to go straight to video if not disappear altogether until it attracted a bidding war at the Toronto film festival and Lion's Gate picked it up for distribution, a turn of events that apparently made the director and producers think they had made another Blair Witch Project and really hit the jackpot. Considering how cheaply it was made it they were probably right. In any case they all seem very self-congratulatory about the whole thing.

Apparently there will be a sequel with a proper budget.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Is there an unrated DVD? It's rare these days to find a horror film available only in an R rated version.
Matt,

In the special features there is a "ChickVision" option you can set that cuts out the gore - didn't watch the movie this way though. There is also a family feature thing but I think this one is a prank.

I liked the movie in an Evil Dead kind of way.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I just sot of went "eh" after I finished Cabin Fever. Glad to see I'm not the only one who found Wrong Turn an enjoyable little movie. Nothing great, but it delivered what I expected.

·
Registered
29,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Durham
Well, every Tuesday I go and get the latest releases to watch for the week(my local rental store lets me keep the dvds 7 days) so I had to flip a coin to see if the main feature for that night would be Cabin Fever or Once upon a time in Mexico, both movies highly anticipated by me. Cabin Fever won. I didn't. Wow, what a dissappointment.
For what it's worth, you were in a no-win situation. Both movies are dogs.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico is Robert Rodiguez's attempt to take everything that was fun about Desperado and make it long and tedious and self-important and no fun at all. Biggest disappointment of last year.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.