AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dual sealed enclosures project is coming along, albiet slower than I had thought
Anyways, I have a pair of these posts for each enclosure: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1245

My questions are:

1) Given the design of these posts, would it make sense to put a bead of silicon caulking around the posts on the inside of the cabinet to seal it, or will the posts be airtight without the need for caulk?

2) If caulking around the posts is necessary, would it interfere with the electrical signal going through them?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I wouldn't use silicon caulk... the gases it gives off when curing have been known to eat away at the glue and/or surrounds of drivers. I use a thin bead of glue (hot glue is really fast!).

1) With the correct sized hole it should be air-tight (you'll need to hammer the posts in). Place a board on the post and hit the board... this way you won't mar the finish on the posts.

2) It's not conductive, so no, there won't be a problem. Also, the outside of the post is already touching the enclosure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just talked to my sister, who is a material science engineer, who said that once its cured you should be OK. So read the cure time and add a day to that to be extra safe and you should be good to go. oh and she also said "i know slicones are like death to wet paint" so use them before you paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.