AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a cabinet to go under their Proj screen. The wife would like something long to fill the space below. I would like something to store all the HT components, DVDs and Xbox games. I have seen some nice ones in the $1,000 plus range, but would love to find something cheaper...any ideas?

The cabinet would need to be longer than 50" and shorter than 25", width is really not an issue.

Thanks for any help, Nik

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hey npep,

I'm looking into doing the same thing. For me, it has to be an inexpensive DIY, or inexpensive buy. Did you find anything? Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'd say Ikea too. Might try Home Despot and look in their garage storage cabinets for a white hardbosrd one. You might have to get a tall vertical one and flip it on its side.

There are lots of cheap TV stands that are similar to what you are looking for too (wide, designed to hold electronics, and short). Check out the local AV superstore's selection of TV stands.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Lots of places have cheap low shelves for storing shoes in your closet. Target, or any other place that has cheap fiberboard furniture.

I keep all my stuff at the back of the room so I don't have to run cables.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got a low teak buffet, with bookshelves above, from a garage sale for $40. Took the bookshelves off and it's just the right size. You might look for a blanket chest that goes at the foot of a bed. You might be able to find surplus motel furniture which is long and low, with drawers. You might also run across a long dresser which can be lowered by removing/sawing the legs. The important thing is the WAF - if it doesn't match/look good she'll never be happy with it.

BTW, depending on your home situation, think about making the bottom of the screen about 9-12 inches higher than the cabinet. Nature abhor's a vacuum - my wife abhors a bare surface. I don't want to have to move everything from the cabinet when I want to watch the movie.

Or you might just build/buy a long bench and put cushions on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I made my Parkland Plastics screen for my X1 projector. Most cabinets I saw that met this design where $500 and up.

I have a cabinet that I got from Target for $120.

The unit is about 50" wide and you have the option to not install the drawers in the front so you can have more equipment space in the middle.

Also I was able to put the Dish PVR, VCR, PC in the side cabinet and the DVD player and audio receiver in the middle. Also there is a small space in the middle with a shelf for another component or a center channel speaker.

I tried to put a URL in here, but the forum wouldn't allow it.

Just go to home furniture at Target.com and look for the following:

Frosted Glass Entertainment Stand - Black

They also have the unit in Maple.

·
Registered
130 Posts
like everyone else, I'm looking for something similar. Since my screen is retractable, I'd like to have some kinda of cusions/whatever on top for additional seating when not watching moveis or whatever. Tought to find something that's only 15" high (to also accommodate the center channel under the screen as well).

For now, I have a series of wooden crates, 5 I think, on their sides. It's working for now, but definitely not a permanent solution.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thegeek...that is exactly what I am looking for with a dark cherry finish, $900 does not seem too bad with the doors and all. You are not in GA are you? That is the problem I am having...it is either too much money or not the right color.

Overstock.com had some nice metro coffee tables that I almost purchased, but decided I needed something a little wider to make the screen look in place.

Oh well, still searching...

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
My camera isn't exactly the greatest in the world, but that is a dark cherry finish on pine. I got it from a local place here in Tampa called "Coventry Cove". I'm sure Georgia is not devoid of people who can custom craft furniture. If nothing else, perhaps you could look up the folks at Coventry Cove and see if they know anybody by you. We found them by going to one of those unfinished furniture places and asking them if they did custom work. They said no, but pointed us in the right direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.