AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Replay Gurus, here's a question for you.

Right now I have digital cable. Time Warner raised my rates again this month and I seriously want to cancel cable.

However, every now and then, I like to watch something on live TV {gasp} while the replay tapes something from another channel. I have a splitter which splits the cable between my replay and the built-in VCR tuner.

I am trying to figure out how I could best keep this ability. If I had 2 satellite receivers, wouldn't it be hard to control one without controlling the other accidentally with the remote?

How about if I cancelled most of my cable...and only kept basic service. Could the replay handle 2 services? (Having both satellite and Cable coming in on different inputs.)

Surely this has been discussed before. What are my options?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I am hardly a guru, but I can give you a few answers.

If I had 2 satellite receivers, wouldn't it be hard to control one without controlling the other accidentally with the remote?

It depends on where you have the reciever living. I have two sat receivers, one in one room and another in the other with a Replay on each of them. Having receivers in the room could cause you some grief. For example, if you are using the double headed IR Blaster, any signal that you send to the Replay to be sent onto the receiver will be sent to both units--changing channels etc. I bet somebody here has come up with a solution though.

How about if I cancelled most of my cable...and only kept basic service. Could the replay handle 2 services? (Having both satellite and Cable coming in on different inputs.)

No problem. In the Replay setup, you simply indicate what service is coming in what input and Replay with do the rest in combining the different channel guides. It should work beautifully.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech

No problem. In the Replay setup, you simply indicate what service is coming in what input and Replay with do the rest in combining the different channel guides. It should work beautifully.
This is one of the features that I'm most impressed with. This is the type of feature that products usually don't have and you find yourself thinking "if only it could do X". The Replay's integration of dual channel lineups with two inputs (DBS & Cable with one set remapped to channel+1000) is a great feature and it works flawlessly (at least for me).

Does Tivo have a similar feature with their stand-alone (non-DBS) units?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I do not have a satellite system, but I'm pretty sure most sat receivers can be programmed to respond to multiple sets of IR/RF codes. Therefore, you shouldn't have any problem controlling two boxes independently, even if they are stacked right on top of each other.

Also, if you are going to switch over to satellite, I would definitely recommend looking into a receiver with built in PVR functionality. Both DirecTV and Dish Network should have some really good deals on the hardware for new customers. :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Dish remotes do not fit into gweenpose's assessment. The current 301 box only works on one IR code. The 501 box, with built in PVR (what a joke) has UHF and IR. The UHF part has 6 distinct channels but the IR part is locked to just one. If you change the UHF channel to anything but the default, the unit stops responding to IR; I don't know whether the sender IR is disabled as well. In my situation this works just fine. The HT unit feeding the Replay is the 301. The 501 is in the bedroom with an AV feed back to the HT. I acquired a second remote for the 501 and use the UHF signal to control the 501 from the HT; had to tape off the IR emitter on it so it wouldn't interfere with the Replay/301 combo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sounds great. I just want to make sure that this "combining dish and cable" is going work on my older system.

Can anyone verify that this works on the Showstopper 2000?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yup.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have two dish receivers in the same room stacked one on top of the other.

I have the 4900 setup to respond to remote code 1 because that's the only Dish code that works with Replay, and a 501 that responds to remote code 5.

I control both with a pronto IR remote.

Also, I have the output of my 501 modulated to channel 92, I can control the 501 with it's silver UHF remote allowing me to view it on any TV in the house.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jvidalny
and a 501 that responds to remote code 5.

I control both with a pronto IR remote.
So the 501 DOES respond to a different IR code? I remember posts in the Dish forum that specifically stated that they would respond to only one IR code.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe that functionality was added via a software upgrade.

Basically, I setup the silver remote to code 5 and then used the "learn" funtion to teach the Pronto the IR codes.

I use the Pronto via IR to control the 501 in the H/T setup, and the silver remote via UHF in the rest of the house. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
So the 501 DOES respond to a different IR code?
As stated above that's using the 501 remote. I believe it's still the case that any DishNetwork receiver must be left on remote code 1 for a ReplayTV to control it.

-Gary

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
No Gary, that I do understand, although why one would want to use a Replay to control another PVR escapes me at the moment. What I remembere is a post where someone complained of losing the IR control when changing the UHF device number.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
...I remembere is a post where someone complained of losing the IR control when changing the UHF device number.
Hey don't believe everything you read on the Internet. There's a guy insisting the Replay was designed with a fan that sounds like a "turbo prop plane on take off". Now just because someone makes a bizare claim doesn't mean it even rises to the level of suspicion it might be true.

Check it out first for yourself before you go perpetuatin' rumors. :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
So where were you to set me straight?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
As long as it doesn't tax your intellectual resources....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.