AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a comcast out the wall cable, and I'm running it tru surge protector???

I'm getting a digital comcast with most HD channels with Cable card. I read that some surge protectors can weaken digital signal.

can anyone give me some input o that , and how importat is to run cable coax from surge protector

thank you

·
Registered
247 Posts
Every cable and cord comming into your system should go through a surge protector. This includes any power cord, phone cord or cable coax. A lightning strike doesn't care what kind of conductor it hits, so any one of them can wreak havoc in your system if not stopped. They are also a good idea for stopping AC line noise from screwing up your picture and sound. This kind of noise comes from other appliances and motors and electronics plugged into your house, or even sometimes your neighbors if the power grid is a little sketchy where you live. At my mom's, every time the microwave is running there are fuzzy lines that run across the TV picture.

As for how much the signal weakened when going through a protector I doubt it would be enough to notice unless you are at the fringe of an over-the-air broadcast. That won't happen with cable.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Running cable through any type of protector is going to cause loss, the bigger concern is if the protector can pass the frequency range needed for two way traffic on the cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts