AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about the below cable box my cable company cant even answer.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ware-HDPVR.htm

1. In the advanced setup menu there is an option called "4:3 Overide" and the choices are 480i, 480p or stretch.

I already have "TV screen type set to 16:9 (because mine is)" and output set to 1080i.

2. For some reason since I go my new cable box I can only set the sound options on my Processor to Dolby settings i.e. Dobly Digital 2.0; DD PL11 (music or cinima); Dolby Digital. I can not set to settings like 5 Channel stereo. This is not something I had an issue with in my last cable box. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Answer to #1. - Set the screen size to 720p for best results. If you are satisfied with your T.V. at the 1080i settings then set it to that.

Answer to #2. - In the guide's setup menu set the audio to advanced w/matrix and the compression set to heavy. This optimizes the audio output that the program you are watching can deliver. Checking the info on a particular show will tell you what the sound output is ie. dolby digital, dolby 5.1 etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to put this in the last post... The 4:3 override is if you want the cable box to either stretch all programming or not. I suggest leaving it to 'off' and letting your T.V do the stretching or not

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/0

I have a couple of questions about the below cable box my cable company cant even answer.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ware-HDPVR.htm

1. In the advanced setup menu there is an option called "4:3 Overide" and the choices are 480i, 480p or stretch.

I already have "TV screen type set to 16:9 (because mine is)" and output set to 1080i.

2. For some reason since I go my new cable box I can only set the sound options on my Processor to Dolby settings i.e. Dobly Digital 2.0; DD PL11 (music or cinima); Dolby Digital. I can not set to settings like 5 Channel stereo. This is not something I had an issue with in my last cable box. Any ideas?

Assuming you have the STB connected to the receiver via optical or co-ax,the receiver is defaulting to the digital mode...there should be an option to select digital via manual instead of automatic.

Alternately,you could run a set of RCA's from the STB to another input on the receiver to utilise analog sound fields.

The 4:3 override functions as a sort of scaler if you select 480p;try both 480i and 480p to see which looks best on your display.

This will only affect the analog/SD channels.

It is my understanding that the "advanced" and compression /matrix audio settings only apply to the analog audio out on that box,as well.

When connected via digital,the options have no affect on the sound,imho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.