AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A certain cable company forgot to pick up their cable box, and have not mentioned anything to me about it for several months now. So I'm assuming its not important to them, and can now claim it as my own. So here is my question, can I turn it into a personal DVR?

Brand: Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC

I am proficient with computers, and willing to do what it takes. Is there a software/hardware/firmware hack/format/install that I can do to make it work as a personal DVR instead of the cable box/dvr it was intended for?

Any help much appreciated! Also pointing me in the right direction, links, would be very helpful.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Without a cableco "authorizing" your rogue DVR's serial number, you have a paperweight.

Your box is also now "stolen property".

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
Even though they haven't pursued you to return the cable box you borrowed from them, you are still responsible for arranging for its return. You cannot "claim it as your own". The 8300HDC requires an authenticated CableCARD from your service provider.

What you have is a pending liability (something that they can go after you for for up to three years after you close your account with them), and a paperweight.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
You are expected to return the equipment, regardless of whether they ask for it. That was in the terms of service that you agreed to when you subscribed.

If you do not return it, the cable company may contact a collection agency. At that point, all they'll want is the money (i.e. $400-$500) and they may not care about the equipment, so it's best to return anything you have before that happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.