AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motorola DCH6416 HD DVR box is very unreliable in changing channels. At first I figured it was the box and wished that they would build a box that is radio wave based.

Now I read a thread that said it could be faulty components in my tv causing excess interference.

Any clue on how to trouble shoot this and how to resolve it?

The cable remote is terrible at controlling my tv's volume as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Simple fix. I work for Comcast and the only fix I have found is to put a piece of masking tape over the remote sensor on the digital box. Sometimes it takes 2 layers. Sounds stupid but it works. This is becoming more common with newer tvs. Its a pain in the ass. Customers think we are crazy telling them its their tv and then putting masking tape on the box. But as of now thats the only easy fix. Their are a few tvs you can shut off something in the tv settings but I cant remember which tv. I believe its only in Panasonic tvs that it can be shut off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoints
My motorola DCH6416 HD DVR box is very unreliable in changing channels. At first I figured it was the box and wished that they would build a box that is radio wave based.

The cable remote is terrible at controlling my tv's volume as well.
did you mean dch3416? As I have not heard of the issue affecting the dct6416 , oval window with yellow time. If it's a 3416 , larger window covering most of the boxes front with blue time then your cable company may have a more asthetic solution of a sticky plate that covers the IR to block the interference made specifically for that box. Or you could just use the paper and tape that works just as well.

As for your TVs volume do you by chance have a samsung tv?Does the volume not continuously go up if you hold the button making you hit it for each small increment ? If it is a samsung try to reprogram the remote using code 0812. Done by pressing TV then hold setup til light blinks twice then input code 0812. That should cure the volume issue as that shouldn't be related to your main problem. If that doesn't work or u don't have samsung let me know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags /forum/post/19605698

did you mean dch3416? As I have not heard of the issue affecting the dct6416 , oval window with yellow time. If it's a 3416 , larger window covering most of the boxes front with blue time then your cable company may have a more asthetic solution of a sticky plate that covers the IR to block the interference made specifically for that box. Or you could just use the paper and tape that works just as well.

As for your TVs volume do you by chance have a samsung tv?Does the volume not continuously go up if you hold the button making you hit it for each small increment ? If it is a samsung try to reprogram the remote using code 0812. Done by pressing TV then hold setup til light blinks twice then input code 0812. That should cure the volume issue as that shouldn't be related to your main problem. If that doesn't work or u don't have samsung let me know.

Box is DCH6416 from Astound; it's a motorola. I have no clue if this is an older or newer dvr hd box-it's what they gave me. I think it's ridiculous that it costs $16 a month.

My TV is an LG 60PK550. I also noticed that the remote seems to fail primarily on bright screens or screens with a lot of white.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely try suggestions stated above.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I covered the front of the box with 3 or 4 layers of blue tape and that resolved the issue. First I tried to just cover the pickup, it helped but I still had issues so I just covered entire display area.

Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts