Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone!

i don't know if this is related to replay, but my cable company has been no help (shocker!!) so i figured i'd throw this out for the forum.

my cable box inexplicably turns off before recording a show. it happens every week before the same show.

i have my replay (5080) set up to record the thursday night line up on NBC and every week without fail my cable box turns off about 30 seconds into recording "friends". has anyone seen this happen to them? can this be the replay triggering the power down?

i record _a lot_ of shows on may different channels and this is the only time this happens.

it's been about three weeks since i've seen srubs and i need to watch it now!!

any help would be appreciated!!

TIA,

elon

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Do you have a Scientific Atlanta cable box by any chance? They have a nasty habit of turning off at inopportune times.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
They are extremely sensitive to powerline glitches.

Possibly the powerdip of untold tv sets being turned on to watch Friends at the same time overtaxes your power network;)

What's on opposite Friends? Survivor? That probably doesn't help any....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simplyzibest
...has anyone seen this happen to them? can this be the replay triggering the power down?
YES!!!! My S/A Explorer does this as well! Usually it is after hours though... I will go to bed around midnight, and the cable box is on... Go to watch my overnight recorded shows... nothing but blank air (black screen)... I lost 3 shows just last night to this issue.

And you are right... the cable company is as useless as you would expect them to be. This gets to be really annoying!

Bayside, I have a UPS on my replays and cable box... could this still be an issue?

It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to view what I have scheduled.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I had a cheap no-name UPS from CompUSA which did nothing to alleviate this problem. I t apparently just didn't react quickly enough to prevent the SA box from turning off. I was actually there watching tv when it happened one night. Got an APC UPS and never had the problem return.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My box is a Scientific Atlanta.

I will try the UPS...hopefully it will work for me too.

Thanks for the idea and info!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.