AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the AVS Forum and need some input on some recent problems I've been having with Cablevision/OptimumTV.

PROBLEM: I'll try to keep this part as brief as I can. About a month ago I lost my Dolby Digital signal as a result of Cablevision's installation of a new program guide. After 6 phone calls to customer service and six different answers, I was able to understand that this problem is a result of a software issue that is allegedly being worked on. The bottom line is that they can no longer transmit the DD signal through the cable box's HDMI output (Scientific Atlanta 8300). The only way you can now receive DD is to run component cables from the cable box to the TV and then run a digital coax or a digital optical (TOSlink) cable to the receiver. They also offered me the ability to trade in my SA8300 for a new Samsung C5320 which they claim will allow me to use the HDMI connection and receive DD sound also through Digital coax or TOSlink. (my reciever does not support HDMI)

QUESTION: Since the SA8300 has a pass through setting and the Samsung C5320 does not, does it make more sense to stick with the SA8300 until Cablevision can find a fix for the DD bug? My knowledge gets a bit fuzzy here on how much a picture can be degraded if there is no pass through on the cable box. Any and all explanations of pass through are welcome here.

My gut is to stick with my current box and conncection but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

RELEVANT EQUIPMENT:

Panasonic VT50 (65 inch)

Sony STR-DA2 ES (No HDMI connection)

Oppo BDP-103

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jackie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prior to my issue I was running HDMI from the cable box to the TV and digital coax from the cable box to the reciever. My ES is on the older side and doesn't have HDMI input, thus the dual cables.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge  /t/1472570/cable-boxes-and-pass-through-need-advice#post_23313853

Why do you want this feature?

Working off limited information, I read a post on another site where someone stated that the Samsung produced a lower quality picture because it would upscale/downscale the picture from its native format and then pass it on to the TV for further upscaling/downscaling before it is viewed. While the Samsung would let the native format pass through so it would only have to be upscaled/downscaled once (by the TV).

Just trying to figure out if there is any validity to that before I give up my SA8300.

Hope that helps. (I'm not well versed on this topic at all so if I'm still not making sense please let me know.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJackie  /t/1472570/cable-boxes-and-pass-through-need-advice#post_23314522

Working off limited information, I read a post on another site where someone stated that the Samsung produced a lower quality picture because it would upscale/downscale the picture from its native format and then pass it on to the TV for further upscaling/downscaling before it is viewed. While the Samsung would let the native format pass through so it would only have to be upscaled/downscaled once (by the TV).

Just trying to figure out if there is any validity to that before I give up my SA8300.

Hope that helps. (I'm not well versed on this topic at all so if I'm still not making sense please let me know.)

Sorry meant to say "whiScientific Atlanta tlanta would let the native format pass through...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts