Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2662&p=1

When I got my panasonic 42phd8uk I was so happy and still am. But there are so many people (actual, probably only a vocal few) on this forum that flame purchases like mine because of no cable card slot- how we made huge mistakes and that we should be shot for buying such a tv.

Personally, I still think cable card is not ready for prime time and definitely not ready for me (if I got rid of on-demand and my HD-DVR, there would be a revolution in the house and I would be sacrificed to the TV gods).

Anyway, looks like in a year, with the help of ATI and windows, I can have my PC act as my set top box, with a cable card AND have it record HD content (without any limitations on how much, because I can of course get as many, as large hard drives as I want-subject to reasonable limitations). The channel menus have received positive reviews and if ATI is announcing this product, I'm sure others will (and hopefully, will support future versions of cable card products).

I know its a year away, but this helps me plan for future upgrades and I feel silly now buying a DVD recorder knowing in a year I will have a small form factor PC that will act as my set top box with a DVD recorder installed. Hopefully, by then, a reasonably priced Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo drive will be available so that I can really have my PC act as the media hub and get rid of a few components in my system!

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda10
Anyway, looks like in a year, with the help of ATI and windows, I can have my PC act as my set top box, with a cable card AND have it record HD content (without any limitations on how much, because I can of course get as many, as large hard drives as I want-subject to reasonable limitations). The channel menus have received positive reviews and if ATI is announcing this product, I'm sure others will (and hopefully, will support future versions of cable card products).

I know its a year away, but this helps me plan for future upgrades and I feel silly now buying a DVD recorder knowing in a year I will have a small form factor PC that will act as my set top box with a DVD recorder installed. Hopefully, by then, a reasonably priced Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo drive will be available so that I can really have my PC act as the media hub and get rid of a few components in my system!
All of your drama aside... the "real world" capabilities of these devices is purely speculative until Congress, the MPAA, content, cable, satellite providers and Bill Gates agree to a definitive set of rules/standards regarding the conditional access authorization for HD digital content and what the consumer's right is regarding how they can use this information.

Meanwhile the "hapless" buyer will continue to spend $$$$ for electronic toys that don't work as advertised.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.