AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up my local charter to inquire about the cable card. They said that you cannot receive their HDTV channels using the cable card. I have read in other threads that you can watch hdtv using the cable card. Is this correct? If so then i assume Charter doesn't allow their cable cards to carry hd.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Call again and ask to speak to a supervisor. FCC mandate requires they make CableCards available to digital cable subscribers. Note they do not have to provide the CableCard for free; they can charge you a monthly fee for its use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Call again and ask to speak to a supervisor. FCC mandate requires they make CableCards available to digital cable subscribers. Note they do not have to provide the CableCard for free; they can charge you a monthly fee for its use.
Maybe i didnt make my post clear. They do offer the cable card for a monthly price, but they said that you cannot receive hdtv channels with it. But i have heard otherwise from other posts.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thespy007
Maybe i didn't make my post clear. They do offer the cable card for a monthly price, but they said that you cannot receive hdtv channels with it. But i have heard otherwise from other posts.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Believe who ever you want to, but BFDTV is correct & your CC CSR is incorrect

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
So charter must have hdtv on the cable card? They do have normal digital cable on the cable card.
Aside from your premium channels, all of the HD channels live in the digital basic realm. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you can't get HD via CC, such as Discovery, INHD1&2, etc. You may have to make a few calls in order to get it straightened out as many of the cable customer service people still have no clue when it comes to cablecard. "No" is an incorrect answer on their part, especially when they have HD channels in their lineup.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
So charter must have hdtv on the cable card? They do have normal digital cable on the cable card.
The hdtv isn't "on" the cablecard. The cablecard communicates with your cable company identifying your tv and unscrambling signals as instructed. You can receive the same signals with a card as with a box. The thing is, if your tv doesn't have an hd tuner, you will need the cable company's hd tuner box to tune the hd signals. The cablecard itself is not a tuner - it uses your tv's tuner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
I called up my local charter to inquire about the cable card. They said that you cannot receive their HDTV channels using the cable card. I have read in other threads that you can watch hdtv using the cable card. Is this correct? If so then i assume Charter doesn't allow their cable cards to carry hd.
I'm using a cablecard with the new RCA 162 series and can view HD with my cable service

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well what a change in events. The local charter contractor called here before they are suppost to come to inform me that they dont have the cable cards yet. You would think the main branch of charter would know if their local brances had certain products.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Of course you can view HD channels with a CableCard...as long as you pay for them. The card simply replaces the cable box. (One way for the early adopters, however...).

Don't let some moron tell you that the CableCard "won't work" either. The Cable Companies simply would prefer you stick with their TWO WAY STB. Better for them, to H*** with you.

And, one final observation....if your brand new set has a cablecard slot, it, by definition, has an ATSC tuner. They go "hand in hand".

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Well what a change in events. The local charter contractor called here before they are suppost to come to inform me that they dont have the cable cards yet. You would think the main branch of charter would know if their local brances had certain products.
Re-read bfdtv's post. You can pull up the exact FCC text to quote to Charter. Do they not have the cards yet, or is it that they don't support them yet? I would start raising hell via phone calls, email and snail mail.

Many of us have had difficulties with the cable companies, both at the national and local levels. Again, see keyser's post for the link.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quick question... for PIP, is it possible to have a cable card & have a box from your cable company, and use both? That way you can get 2 HD or SD sources for PIP, or does the TV not allow that? In general, of course.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BBH
Of course you can view HD channels with a CableCard...as long as you pay for them. . .
. . . and you don't have to pay for them if your cable company doesn't scramble them. Adelphia does not, and I get HD by plugging the cable straight into my hdtv, even without a CableCard.

Does anyone know if the FCC regulations require cable companies to carry unscrambled network HD signals? I remember that interpretation of the regs were in debate a while ago. Something about the FCC requiring that OTA digital broadcasts offered on cable were required to be considered "basic tier" services, and that cable companies were prohibited from scrambling basic tier services.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lodey
Quick question... for PIP, is it possible to have a cable card & have a box from your cable company, and use both? That way you can get 2 HD or SD sources for PIP, or does the TV not allow that? In general, of course.
Sure, but why would you want to pay extra for a tiny window? You can easily have a CC inserted, viewing content on whichever channel, then have your STB connected to one of your component inputs. Of course it also depends on what your display is capable of-what it will allow as various PIP scenarios.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Isn't that what I just described, or am I confused? Have the CC in the TV for viewing channels, and the STB (HD comcast box with DVR) also going into the TV to allow for 2-way with the company, as well as two sources for PiP?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lodey
Isn't that what I just described, or am I confused? Have the CC in the TV for viewing channels, and the STB (HD comcast box with DVR) also going into the TV to allow for 2-way with the company, as well as two sources for PiP?
If you don't mind having your cable split. When I had my CC installed, they had to seriously beef up the signal reaching my tv, and that is just a straight shot from the wall to the set. It'll work, but again, why would you want to pay extra just for PIP?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Cable not generally free, depends on provider/location though. You still need to subscribe to dig. package from cable co. to get most of the channels.

I believe there is something stated that local network HD channels are free in system as long as you have basic cable.

You can do PIP or such as long as your tv lets you select the HD inputs for them, the Hit. 57s715 can but I've seen others that couldn't. Some sets using cable card can do PIP with just one piece of coax to tv, no other inputs needed. There are limitations on this though such as HD/dig. must be in main window & analog channel can be in sub window, (but not two HD/dig. pics from that one input, would need two digital tuners for that)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.