AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody come across an external tuner box that will swallow a cable card, and will provide the tuned-in program on composite video and L/R audio outputs. This would of course have to be "down scaled" version of the programming, and I would expect that other outputs such a HDMI might also be present.

For the application I'm considering however, the composite video is what's needed. Cox is doing the "all-digital migration" in my market this spring & summer. The little "mini-box" tuners they have started to offer have only RF and HDMI as outputs. I also have been told that they will be removing all the clear-QAM channels, so using a clear-QAM tuner with composite video output (the current solution) will stop working at some point.

I think I could rent a full sized cable box from Cox if there's nothing out there that I could buy, but I'd prefer to own something.

One thing I wondered about was an old ATI external tuner (cable card capable), but it's not clear to me if this device could function "stand alone" and not require the presence of a computer attached on its USB port. The item I'm talking about was their model "A636".

The other thing that could be done I suppose is to take the RF output on channel 3 or 4, and demodulate that. I would prefer to not take video signal and modulate & demodulate it needlessly.

So, has anybody hear encountered such a box?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Any Windows 7 PC with a CableCRAD tuner (like the ATI, which is a single tuner and obsolete) will decrypt encrypted cable, and output to a TV or a network location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts