Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting Article on Slashdot:

--------------------- CLIP -------------------------

Your Rights Online: Cable Companies Despise PVRs

Posted by timothy on Monday December 09, @11:21AM

from the convenience-is-awful dept.

sbombay writes "I just came back from Broadband Plus (formerly the Western Cable Show) and was disappointed to find that cable companies despise PVRs. In his keynote speech, Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said that the PVR amounts to 'the Napster of the future.' Cable World has a story about the speech and quotes from other cable execs bashing the PVR. The cable industry’s opposition to the PVR boils down to two things -– PVRs help satellite companies (Dish and DirecTV) provide services like Video On Demand (VOD) and a PVR in a cable home cuts into VOD revenue. Any of the sessions at the show that touched the topic of PVRs were an opportunity for the cable industry to slam the PVR. The strongest attack came from Gary Lauder, a venture capitalist who has funded many cable related companies. During his 15-minute presentation, Lauder slammed his Replay box, 'it’s too hot,' 'my wife doesn’t know how to use it,' and he even tried to fry an egg on his PVR. He also openly called on the cable companies and Hollywood to sue the PVR companies for copyright infringement. If you love your PVR, the cable industry is not your friend."

--------------------- /CLIP ------------------------

Slashdot Article Here :

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/02/12/09....shtml?tid=129

·
Registered
387 Posts
I find it ironic that "he slammed his Replay".. meaning he OWNs one. His wife can't use it? Sorry he married a fool, my g/f operates mine with the "quickness". Fry and egg? come on, mine's hardly warm.

Sorry Mr. Gary Lauder, your wife's an idiot and it sounds like she married the right guy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for the redundant post, While I was typing this a different post came up. I *did* check b4 I posted this! arg. Fast posting! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.