AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All it takes for me to feel like a complete idiot is to buy a new component, and then try to figure out how to hook it up. Plus, I wish the writers of User Manuals would bring in an English-speaking proofreader to lend a hand. (End of rant)

I currently connect my VCR video directly to the TV w/S-video, and audio directly to VCR-1 IN on the amplifier. If I'm watching anything on VHS, the sound is always thru the amp.

I also have a DVD player video direct to the TV, audio thru the amp.

And an HD-Receiver for OTA broadcasts, component video out to the TV, audio out to the amp.

I'm replacing the VCR with a Panasonic DMR-ES46V, which has HDMI out, S-video, component in and out, and composite (red, white & yellow) in and out. There is also optical out (audio), but none of my other components has optical in, so that's moot.

My first inclination is to hook up the new Panny like the old VCR was:

Video - component out to TV.

Audio - Red/white out to amp VCR-1 in.

My amp doesn't have HDMI, so HDMI out of the Panny to the TV would result in my having to listen to the audio thru the TV's speakers... right?

If I still have audio out of the Panny to the amp, I could zero the volume on the TV and listen thru the amp, but I have a feeling the synchronization btwn picture and soundtrack would be off... comments?

The manual's instructions seem especially confusing to me, but that wouldn't be the first time. For instance, on pg 16 there is a diagram for audio out to a stereo amp that shows both a digital audio connection (optical) AND the red/white connection, both going to "Amplifier's rear panel. Is this both, or either/or?

Other diagrams are equally puzzling (same page shows audio out twice, video out twice, and both in to the same Input on the TV). I stare at these diagrams and think, "Honest to God, I don't think I'm smart enough to own this equipment."

But you guys are. Can any of you recommend a good night school, six weeks or less, where I can learn how to read a manual?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Those diagrams with multiple audio connections (analog and digital) are defiitely "either/or". Same with the multiple video connections.

Your proposed hookup, just like the VCR was hooked up (but Component Video instead of S-Video to TV), will work fine. Then you need to get the cable to it, same as you fed cable to the VCR. The last connection would be from the STB to an A/V input of the DVD Recorder. For recording channels only the STB can tune to. I don't believe you have Component Video input on the DVD Recorder by the way. You don't mention how the STB fed signals to the VCR on your old configuration. But if you did have this feed, it should also work with the new recorder. If not, then I guess you didn't record from the STB, only analog channels from the cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get cable or satelite, so there's no STB (if STB means "Set-top Box").

I had never run the US-Digital HD Receiver thru the VCR before, and hadn't figured out how to do it with this new unit. The HD Rcvr gets signal thru coax, and is tuned only to the hi-def broadcasts OTA. For now, I suppose I'll leave it connected directly to the TV (video via component cables) and amp (via red/white audio).

The dilemma is: If I hook the new DVD/VCR to the TV with HDMI (video & audio), can I also use audio-out from DVD/VCR to the amp? Then, when playing either DVD or VHS, the TV gets "great" video and "ok" audio thru HDMI, but I can also route the audio thru the amp's "surround". My question is: "Can I have redundant audio out, or will I have to choose "HDMI & settle for TV's speakers" without the audio to the amp.?

ps... If you know of a way to fit the HD Receiver into this path, so I can either watch directly on TV (the it's already set up), or record to DVD, I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Regarding your dilemma, just try it the way you are wondering if it will work and see if it works that way. That's the best way to answer such questions assuming you have all of the equipment involved.

Regarding the connection from STB (your HD Receiver) to the new DVD Recorder, usually the STBs have an S-Video output, which has 480i signals on it, although it may be letterboxed so that will prevent good-quality recordings of 16:9 material (which all HD material is). Then you need to feed the new recorder audio from the STB, some have multiple analog audio outputs, and for those that don't some poeple just split the one audio output with Y-splitters, although that leads to slightly lower audio signal levels (-3dB). The issue of recording 16:9 material, and STB's that insist on letterboxing their S-Video output has been discussed frequently and recently here, if interested you should be able to find some of those discussions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, bobkart...

I've hooked the DVD/VCR to the TV with HDMI, and audio-out from DVD/VCR to the amp. You're right -- just hook things up and see if they work. Well, it works. I can have audio thru the TV via HDMI, and can additionally have audio thru the surround sound spkrs via amp.

One final note: The TV's "Normal-Zoom-Wide Zoom-Full" control doesn't respond when I'm viewing ANYthing thru the DVD/VCR. Oh, well.

Again, thank you. I guess we can consider this thread "out".

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
You're welcome, glad to help.

I think when displaying HDMI input you don't get the same kind of aspect ratio controls as you do through analog inputs. I think that's because it's either always 16:9 or the aspect ratio information is contained in the HDMI data and that allows the display to correctly choose the display mode, removing any need for the viewer to choose the right one.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart /forum/post/0

Regarding the connection from STB (your HD Receiver) to the new DVD Recorder, usually the STBs have an S-Video output, which has 480i signals on it, although it may be letterboxed so that will prevent good-quality recordings of 16:9 material (which all HD material is).

His US Digital HD receiver can be set to deliver anamorphic, cropped (pan&scan) or letterboxed 16:9 output via 480i, by using the ASPECT button on the remote. I've used that receiver myself, to make anamorphic 16:9 recordings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.