AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony klv32m1 and the HK CP15. I planned on buying things separate, but I've never had any type of theatre system so it's sounds plenty good to me as far as quality. I have a few questions on hooking it up. I tried using the cables that came with the system until I can order everything I need online. I can't get the rear speaker to play, is there a need for a different cable to support all the speakers? It came only with the RCA jacks, a digital coax, and an S video cable. What would be the best cabling set up to hook these up? I will be adding Direct or Dish later this week if anyone wants to also explain that as well. Thanks very much in advance if anyone can help me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
To get true surround sound you need to connect a device with a digital audio cable, such as digital coax, or fiber optic. If not you can get a surround effect but it only simulated.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
You should be using 16gauge speaker wire, at least, depending on your speaker runs. Do you have clips or binding posts in the rear of each speaker?

If one speaker is out, try connecting the dead speaker to another channel to see if it's the speaker. If it works, check the connection on the dead channel. If the wire/connection is ok, then call HK tech support, you probably will need a new receiver.

You'll need optical or coax for your STB and one for your DVD player to get a 5.1 or better DD or DTS signal. You can send the video into the receiver as well, but I don't see the benefit. You are going to want to use component cables from the STB(if applicable) and the DVD to the TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a digital optical at Radio Shack today and hooked it up. I went into the DVD input setup and selected the optical input. I tried using all the availible surround modes from my DVD menu and still can't get the speakers to go. I can't get the side speakers to respond either. I traded out speakers and they work so I'll recheck all the connections. I had the side speakers working yesterday while using the digital coax and the Red/White plugs so I figured at least those side speakers connections were good.

·
Registered
804 Posts
When testing your speakers through the receiver do you hear noise on all of them? If not its a speaker wire connection problem. If you hear all of them then its a setup error. Things to check on, first on the dvd player make sure its outputing bitstream audio, not pcm! Then make sure on your receiver on the dvd input that it is on auto (plug out the stereo connection so nothing gets confused). Then of course make sure your dvd is 5.1. I think that is everything I hope i didnt miss anyhting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry for posting, I found the problem. In the speaker set up menu, they were turned off. I selected small and then used the test feature; they all are working. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.