AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I know this is a newbie question and I'm sure its probably been asked and answered half a dozen times but after several searches I cannot seem to find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes:

I have just purchased a VPL-HS10 projector and a SONY STR-DA4ES receiver and a Panasonic RP-82 DVD player. The projector will be aprox. 17 feet from the equipment rack, 25 feet with the cabling through the walls.

Now I understand I should be using Component video when possible, so when I search to find a 25 foot component cable I see it will cost me like $220 bucks! Furthermore I see that the Sony STR-DA4ES will not do on screen programming through component video but only through S video, so if I want to do that I need to buy another 25 foot S video ($120!)

That means I'm going to spend roughly $350 on 2 cables ?! (ouch!)

Also am I OK to connect the video on the DVD player to the SONY receiver and then to the projector, or am I better off going straight to the projector and bypassing the receiver for video? (presently the DVD player is my only component connection)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh one more question, is it possible to daisy chain several component video cables together without a loss in signal quality? That might be a cheaper way to go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made my own component with RG-6 coax and RG-6 to RCA connectors from Parts express, P/N 091-1060 $1.95 ea. A spool of RG-6 is less than $50, or go to HD and get a cut lengh you need. Just have to make sure the RGB cables are the same length. Are they as good as the high end cables?? I don't know. The picture looks good to me on my Z-9000. BTW, where did you get your rp-82?? I want to get one.

Jay

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I bought two 12 foot component cables (GE Brand at Target) for something like $15 each. I connected them with RCA couplers. I compared the video quality to a 6 foot high end cable (about $80 worth) and I couldn't tell a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yellowbird I got my rp-82 at onecall dot com. Price was reasonable (220 i think) and they shipped it same day.

Picture is awesome and it plays DVD-Audio. I highly recommend it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.