AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a house and have my wiring closet located about 28 feet from where my plasma TV will be installed (including the run down the rack and up the wall to the plasma = 28ft). I have a DVD source, Digital Cable TV source, DirecTV source and a PC source I would like to get to the Plasma TV. I want to select a 50" plasma TV that will allow me to run one cable to the plasma display from the closet with all my equipment.

My questions are:

What is the maximum distance I can run a cable without experiencing video degradation?

Are some plasma TV's better for this setup than others?

Should the plasma TV have an outboard tuner card?

-Patrick

·
Registered
181 Posts
The length you mentioned should pose no problem for a decent broadcast type cable.

e.g. Belden 1694a will meet (SMPTE 292M) HDTV (1.5Gb/s) up to 370ft

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Panasonic 50" (TH-50PHW5) has an optional outboard tuner unit (TU-PT600B), therefore only one lead from the tuner to the plasma :)

However the default cable supplied is only 2.5m (I think) in length, but you can get a 15m cable from Panasonic directly (for approx. $250). I've just received one of these long cables and it is of the same quality as the one originally supplied, no noticeable degrading of the picture.

Slight problem; you have to disconnect the lead from the tuner unit if you wish to plug a VGA lead dierectly into the plasma (e.g. PC display), the tuner does not have a VGA connector. Not a problem if you don't need a VGA input, but a pain if you do! (I have to unplug the lead from the rear of the tuner unit and then plug in VGA cable to plasma. As the plasma is wall mounted this isn't much fun :mad:

Other than that the Panasonic has a fantastic picture and I would definately recommend it.

The tuner unit can accept:

Rear:

- SCART 1 (RGB / Video)

- SCART 2 (Video / S-Video)

- SCART 3 (RGB / Video / S-Video)

- Component

Front:

- Phone for Video, sound L/R

- S-Video

Note I'm talking about the UK model and tuner but the same may be true of the US versions. Panasonic model numbers confuse the hell out of me :eek:

Hope this helps a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.