AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me state that I'm not an audiophile but do appreciate good quality sound...So one of my neighbors who calls himself an audiophile invites me over to listen to one of the best investments he has ever made. Dark Field Cable Elevators. What they basically are is some foam around what looked like thick hard rubber that elevates audio, power cables up off the floor and keeps them from vibration and static build up. Long story short....I listen to his system which was really good to begin with (PSB speakers with a Rotel amp and pre-amp) and was told to listen to the improved focus, better dynamics, etc. Let me say that I just don't get it, proceeded to to say that I didn't get it and told him that I had some swamp property for sale and all hell broke loose. Is it just me or have people lost all common sense? Picking cables up off the floor improves focus?...dynamics??? I have been a member to this forum for some time and find it hard to believe that people still buy into the snake oil.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
 http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#expensive

Come to think of it, maybe I should get a couple to support the cables plugged into some of my components. They kinda sag under their own weight, and put a bit of stress on the inputs.
Oh and I'm only half joking. HDMI is the worst. I wish they made HDMI like DVI, with optional thumbscrews. Much more robust attachment.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I'm glad I didn't ask how much he payed for them..

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Is it just me or have people lost all common sense?

Ya can't lose what ya never had.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I don't believe in the cable elevators either, but pissing in his Cheerios probably wasn't the most neighborly thing to do.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/15412858

i don't believe in the cable elevators either, but pissing in his cheerios probably wasn't the most neighborly thing to do.

+1

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Not that I'm toally against pissing in someone's Cheerios with just merit, but good neighbors are hard to come by...especially ones with nice stereos.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/15412858

I don't believe in the cable elevators either, but pissing in his Cheerios probably wasn't the most neighborly thing to do.

I'm firmly rooted in the skeptics position when it comes to things like this yet I agree with your comment. Audiophilology is a religion and as I do with religion and politics, in conversations with family and friends, I steer clear of passing judgment.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
His wife must be devastated that the cables don't vibrate anymore.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Not that I'm toally against pissing in someone's Cheerios with just merit, but good neighbors are hard to come by...especially ones with nice stereos.

lol, good education is even harder to come by
Who wants to hang with a dumb and stubborn neighbor anyways

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Your neighbor seems determined to prove PT Barnum correct.

I always wonder if astrologers get angry and upset at astronomers for not buying into their hoopla.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am the type who is brutally honest..I would have laughed myself out the door...ROFLMAO in real life.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Perhaps the clientele purchasing cable elevators themselves have elevators that don't go all the way to the top floor?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James /forum/post/15413515

I'm firmly rooted in the skeptics position when it comes to things like this yet I agree with your comment. Audiophilology is a religion and as I do with religion and politics, in conversations with family and friends, I steer clear of passing judgment.

Well, if they ask my opinion then I tell them what I think.

An acquaintance once asked me what I thought of his $1200 speaker cables. I quite frankly said it was a foolish waste of money. However, I did temper that with the statement that it's always good to err on the overspec'd side for in-wall wires.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If someone asks what someone thinks about cable elevators, I think they should expect a skeptic's reply. If he is an audiofool, then he probably knows that is a controversial area.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Dude I have a hug rat's nest of cables in the back of my system. I would need like 30 of those things. Oh well, anything for sound quality. I guess I'll have to buy these instead of that nice subwoofer I had my eye on.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If you decide to get cable elevators, I suggest the kind that have the automated floor lifts-very nice as you can lift the cables high enough to avoid the ground effect. Hopefully, everyone knows that the standard height is woefully inadequate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts