AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my HD service setup today and the cable guy stated that if I wanted to use HDMI, that i would have to switch it out with the component cables whenever I wanted to watch nonhd channels. Is this right, is there a reason he would say this? I have ordered some very good HDMI cables off amazon and they should be here in a few days, so I haven't had a chance to hook them up and see for myself. Any help is appreciated. I surely don't want to go through the hassle of switching out cables just to view nonhd channels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah, he is misinformed - you will not need to do any such thing. your HDMI connection, should it be active, will let you watch all channels. out of curiosity, what is your cable box name and model #.

-Y

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfasmond76
I got my HD service setup today and the cable guy stated that if I wanted to use HDMI, that i would have to switch it out with the component cables whenever I wanted to watch nonhd channels. Is this right, is there a reason he would say this? I have ordered some very good HDMI cables off amazon and they should be here in a few days, so I haven't had a chance to hook them up and see for myself. Any help is appreciated. I surely don't want to go through the hassle of switching out cables just to view nonhd channels.

HO HO HO HA HA HA!!! That's the best I've heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I hope you didn't waste money on the cables. There's no reason to spend a lot of money on HDMI or DVI cables.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
For future reference, digital cables either give you a clean signal or they don't. There is no picture quality difference between cables. $50 is a better deal than $120, but not as good a deal as $20, which is what I paid for my last 6' HDMI-HDMI cable.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Perhaps the cable guy was thinking of a display like mine, where there are two problems with the DVI input: 480i is unavailable, and so are the zoom modes. Thus, if I didn't have an upconverting receiver, I'd have to switch to a different input to watch SD programming. As it is, I still have to switch (to s-video; see below) when I want to zoom.

As for physically swapping the cables, that's also true with my receiver, the DirecTV HR10-250 -- it won't run both its HDMI and component outputs at the same time. So I have HDMI (to DVI-HDCP on the set) and s-video (for zooming on 480i) hooked up.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to ZOOM, or why anyone would knowingly select a lower quality signal. Apparently this is a 'user choice' and not a necessity -- the picture IS THERE even if you don't use the S-Video and ZOOM mode, right?

As far as cable guys -- many of them are simply on a power trip or ignorant. The COX guy told my buddy he would never be able to use the SPLIT-SCREEN (on his Mitsu 65" HDTV) once he hooked up the 3250 STB. Pure BS! All you have to do is split the cable and provide the Mitsu a cable feed. Granted, the split will be one analog tuned picture and one HD pic from the STB but it works just fine. There is no need for cable providers/installers to scare consumers into believing that once they install a HD STB their viewing capability will be LIMITED! Forums like this are really helpful is getting the right info out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i never tried with an HDMI cable. i have my feeds through component video. is there any major noticeable difference that we can see between component and hdmi?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
On my plasma, can see a difference between HDMI and component using a moto6412. HDMI is slightly sharper than component. Component still looks good...just not quite as good as HDMI.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck
I don't understand why you would want to ZOOM,
On letterboxed SD material, to fill the 16:9 screen. Some people also zoom on regular 4:3 material, to fill their screens, but mess up the aspect ratio in the process. I'm not one of those people -- I'd rather have sidebars. Even though my grey sidebars have left a slight burn-in on my plasma... But I don't want to watch (or burn in) a "postage stamp", with bars on all four sides -- particularly with grey bars on the sides and black ones top and bottom. So, I zoom on letterboxed.

Quote:
or why anyone would knowingly select a lower quality signal.
Well, that's not what I'm doing. I chose to use DVI for most material, on the theory that it's slightly better than component. This forces me to use s-video if I want to zoom, since the stupid HDTivo won't output both DVI and component at once. I could use component for everything, which would mean a marginal improvement for the zoomed SD, but (at least in theory) a decrease in quality for everything else.

I wouldn't say that the zoomed SD is any lower quality than the postage-stamp, upconverted DVI version.

Quote:
Apparently this is a 'user choice' and not a necessity -- the picture IS THERE even if you don't use the S-Video and ZOOM mode, right?
As I said, if I didn't have an upconverting receiver -- i.e., if it passed through everything at its native resolution, instead of converting all sources to the same chosen resolution -- then DVI/HDMI wouldn't work with SD, at least on my set. I assume that's common. I don't suppose non-upconverting receivers are common, but I'm not sure. (Certainly, some people set their receivers to "pass-through", which could be problematic.) Anyway, I was just trying to answer the OP's question, "Is there a reason he would say this?". I'm not saying he was right. I do think some of the replies in this thread are overly dismissive, though -- there's at least a kernel of truth in what he said, even if it's not completely accurate.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Comcast of New Jersey just updated the firmware of all Scientific Atlanta set top boxes for the DVI and HDMI ports to actually become active and display 480i. I have spoken to the technology team in central jersey and they have stated that they will be sending update signals to the set top boxes to other states that dont have the updated boxes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.