AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched to Media Com cable from Direct TV and ordered a Pioneer VSX1018 receiver. Everything is hooked up using HDMI and once I switched the receiver's HDMI parameters to pass through the audio rather than amped I have video and audio from the Toshiba HD DVD player and PS3, but only video from the cable.

I read another post similar to this and the solution was to skip the tv all together and run the audio directly from the cable box to the receiver...problem solved.
*What does this entail? I'm assuming I'm keeping the HDMI connection and just adding an audio route? A little fuzzy on the specifics if anyone can hold my hand through it. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So does anyone think that running a cable from the Digital Audio out from the cable box to the receiver would solve this? But does my source then change...as in will the receiver be off of HDMI 1?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would run a HDMI cable from each source to the receiver. Then run the receiver HDMI out to the TV. Set the receiver to amp. Set your sources to output audio over HDMI.

You'll have to turn the reciver on with the TV and use the reciever to pick your source, but that's usually easier than picking sources through the TV and generally sounds much better too. It's a basic setup - same as mine, except I have a different cable box. If the extra key strokes bother you, Logitec makes inexpensive universal remotes that will bring you back to a single button.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have clarified. This is how the set up is currently. HDMI into the receiver and HDMI out to the tv. I do have a logitech remote, but basic set up is now changing sources through AVR. Audio from 2 components, but not from Cable HD/DVR coming from TV. I've gone into audio parameters in the AVR and turned off AMP under HDMI which allowed sound from the 2 working components from the tv where as before it was all video and no audio. So I figure if it was a bad HDMI cable I'd get nothing as either they work or they don't. So if someone can suggest an alternative set up I'd appreciate it.

For information, before the AVR came the HD/DVR was hooked by HDMI directly to the tv and was running fine.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You don't mention what Cable HD/DVR you're using but IIRC there are some (Scientific Atlanta maybe??) that don't output audio over the HDMI connection. Just a thought.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check into the manufacture, but for now it is up and running. My remote programmer came out and did somethings down there as he was configuring the remote. My thought is that he bypassed the AVR with the DVR and went with one of the pre-installed HDMI's into the tv. This would make the tv source HDMI #1 straight to the DVR and HDMI #2 source the AVR with all other components. Solves the problem for now and once I get some speakers added into the equation we'll run the DVR back through the AVR, cancel the HDMI settings of passthrough to AMP and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts