AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to be such a moron. but how does one get the zenith HD-1080 to find play HD received from a digital TWC cablefeed (like cbs)? (NYC area)

tia

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe the DTV1080 has to see an ATSC (8-VSB-modulated) signal on the Cable RF input - many cable systems use a different modulation scheme than 8-VSB.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
In the NYC area, John, Time Warner Cable carries WCBS-DT as an 8-VSB signal (as well as via 256 QAM, requiring their SA2000HD HDTV cable converter). The head end in S. Manhattan pipes out CBS 8-VSB on UHF channel 46. Other head ends might use a different channel. Most hardware lets you enter a channel manually or run a scan. -- John

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tried it: put the twc digital feed into the ant input on the zenith and did the scan; no 44, 46 or 56 was found. tried to enter them maually, but again, the osd said no cahnnel found. tried 44-1, 56-1, manual add (and tried going to those channels) but no dice. couldn't even get the hyphen to take from the keyboard entry. will try it on the cable input as well.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
TWC in NYC has been 'working' on their HD transmission a great deal lately (requiring frequent rebooting of the SA2000HD). It's possible (though obviously I'm no video engineer) that they've been doing something to make what you're trying unavailable.

TM

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Just checked out 46 UHF from S. Manhattan's head end and CBS HDTV comes in fine. Note, John, that WCBS-Dt is the only TWC signal carried this way as 8-VSB. You'll need an antenna, and either a cable/antenna switch or a separate tuner input for 44 and 56.

Discovered this morning, as TM indicates, that rebooting my 2000HD (actually a cold boot by uplugging) brought in both CBS and NBC HDTV, which weren't tuning at all recently.

-- John

·
Registered
908 Posts
A long way from NY, but I receive HD via my cable company at 8-VSB using a DTV1080. Depending upon what the network places in the PSIP header will determine what channel it maps to on your 1080. Normally the network will place the channel number of there VHF/analog station in the PSIP. I believe CBS in NYC is channel 2. If so, it will most likely map to channel 2- something. Best way to find out is go to your Surf List/Channel Edit under setup and look to see what channel was mapped; then select that channel.

Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
WOW!! I have a RCA F38310 and I plugged the cable feed into the ant A input in the back of the tv. I was scrolling to see what ch's where available and I come across the digial feed of cbs in ny. So I did a ch search and the ch was gone. I dont know where it went. I didnt know about the ch mapping. Ill try that wen I get home. Is Time Warner pumping out any digital feeds from any of the other locals????

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
TWC is just providing CBS on 46 via 8-VSB. When I first scanned a direct cable input my set seemingly skipped over it, too, until I entered 46 manually. -- John

·
Registered
369 Posts
Cant seem to get it back...what the heck do I have to do. I tried inputting the ch manually but it wont let me. There is a scrambled ch now on 46. I think Im going to disconnect my cable wire do another search and then reconnect and do another ch search.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vinnyv07
There is a scrambled ch now on 46.
Some speculation on this. UHF digital channel 46, which is 8-VSB on NYC's S.Manhattan TWC system, should be WCBS-DT (1080i upconverted or 1080i HDTV, depending on the program.)

Haven't scanned all the standard cable channels for some time. But a while back someone posted here that NYC's TWC was scrambling most of the channels below 100 (analog). So, if you're seeing a scrambled channel, perhaps you're looking at a scrambled 46 analog, which presumably requires TWC's converter to view correctly. -- John

·
Registered
369 Posts
Found the ch John. It was remapped by my tv to 101-1. Dont know why but Im not complaining. Love it. The Double bowtie ant doesnt work good for me I need something a little more powerful. The city's buildings seem to be getting in the way of a constant signal. I found WWOR on 44-3 and Fox on 44-2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.