7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for delivery on the items below:

Panasonic TC-P42G25 - Plasma

Panasonic DMP-BD85K - Blu-ray

Panasonic SC-HTB500 2.1 Channel soundbar w/Kelton wireless subwoofer

I also have a Cox HD DVR to hook up to.

My questions:

How many cables do I need and what kind...are they all HDMI?

On Amazon I came across these cables that I think will work, but want to double check:

MediaBridge Ultra series High Speed HDMI Cable w/ethernet - Cat 2 certified - supports 3D & ARC.

Would they work? I want quality but don't want to spend $50 each. Some articles I've read said to look for "1.4", but this isn't mentioned on these. I do know that I need the ARC function.

Anyone care to help?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable, just standard and high speed, with or without ethernet. You didn't say what you were going to transmit over the cable. But IIWY I would get a high speed cable with ethernet. Although ARC works on the other cables, the ethernet versions are wired more appropriately for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to make sure I get everything hooked up together and I want to be able to access Netflix and other internet content. The blu-ray comes with the wireless LAN adapter also.

So, high speed, with ethernet & ARC, right? It looks like the HDMI that I picked out meets those specs.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
According to the Panasonic website, the Soundbar only has one HDMI input (odd limitation), thus one solution is to get an HDMI switch, such as one of these , to get the sound from both your DVR and the Blu-Ray. If you do that, remember to buy an additional HDMI cable for between the switch output and the Soundbar input.

Alternately, you could run the HDMI cable from one of your sources directly to the TV and use an optical audio connection between that source and the Soundbar. You would need an optical Toslink cable such as one of these . This would be the cheaper approach and should work just as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts