Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,'

i have ixos gamma braided speaker cable that has been terminated with spades. --(good stuff)

in my oblong room, my right speaker cable is fully straight to the speaker. on the left cable, it is coiled in a circle behind the speaker as the "stereo" sits near the left speaker, so it only requires a few feet of cable, but have equal lengths cut. -(12 ft. each).

when i sit dead-center i hear my right channel better. does my coiled up speaker cable cut something out????

anyone know the science here?

thanks in advance.

brandon

i use my system for music.

nakamichi ta-4a tuner/amplifier

adcom gfa555 amplifier

ixos gama interconnects.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is one way to test this... straighten out the other wire...

However in all honesty, it can be any number of things including:

- Your room isn't perfectly symmetrical

- Your speakers aren't placed perfect in the room (the human ear can sense very minute changes. I can move one of my speakers 1/2" and totally screw up my imaging).

- The room construction has more density in some walls than others (load bearing walls with insulation versus an interior hollow wall).

- You have a large object (such as a couch) in the room that is causing grief

- There is a channel drop in a component somewhere.

- Your speakers aren't perfectly matched (less expensive speakers usually have sufficient differences in the drivers in each channel that this can be noticed).

- There is a channel drop in one of your ear's :)

I would blame any of the above before I would consider a coiled speaker wire to be the problem if the speakers cables are the same length. A balance knob was invented for a reason... one good way to set this up is get a CD with pink noise that plays the left and right channels seperately. Then grab one of the inexpensive SPL meters from Radio Shack and set your balance knob accordingly.

My problem is that my turntable favors one channel slightly so when I set my balance for CD's, my LPs aren't correct and vice versa... its a royal pain to set when I switch source components but annoys me to no end when things aren't imaging correctly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.