AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, I had a contractor run conduit through my walls for cables to a future projector. Now that I have the projector, I noticed that the 1" conduit he ran is too narrow to accomodate pre-made component cables. So my only choice is to pull 3 cables through the conduit and then put the connectors on them after they are through. But I have never worked with anything but pre-made component cables. Does anyone know what cable I need, if this is an easy project? Or am I better off biting the bullet and calling an audio/video company that knows what it is doing to do this (probably at a high price)? Any advice is appreciated.

I assume that even though I won't be using the FP for sound, I still need to run 3 cables to it, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
what are you pulling through the conduit RGB Cable? How much smaller is the conduit then the cable. If it is RGB it is offered with a poly wrap to hold the bundle together which will make it slightly smaller and less expensive then the jacked cable

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main problem is the 3 RCA connectors on the end. They make the end of the cable too thick to pull through the conduit. If I could find the cable before the RCA connectors are put on it, and I could just attach them myself after pulling the cable through, that should work. But I don't know what cable to buy, or how to connect it to the RCA connectors. It does not seem as easy as with speaker wires and banana plugs, which I have done a number of times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
you can use RG 56 coax cable, and get connectors at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the cable may have a UL file number on it. If it does you can go to the UL website and look up who the file number is registered to. You can then call them for a spec sheet. This should tell you the cable construction. You may be able to get some short lengths if they have them in stock for the cost of shipping. You probally thought of this already but incase you haven't have you tried to stager the connectors so they are not all bundled together making the OD of the bundle smaller?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Would you have enough room if you staggered the length of the cables with the connectors already on? By this I mean set the end of the second cable an inch or so behind the end of the first, and so on for the third. That may make the diameter of the overall bundle a bit smaller than if all 3 connectors are side-by-side.

That being said, putting connectors on RG6 is REALLY easy - I always do it myself because I'm way too cheap to pay for pre-made cables...

Good Luck,

Dwight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.