AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living in various high-rise condo buildings in downtown Chicago for several years now. I question if the wiring is any good since many of these buildings are 30-40 years old. The Comcast/RCN installs are obviously recent and typically very crude.

Hence I'm wondering if a cable isolator (to block ground loop hum) is a 'best practice' for me in these places?

Holland Electronics has one for around $13 that's well-regarded. The Jensen VRD-1FF is almost quadruple that but is regarded even higher.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Personally I think they're snake oil

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do you get a spark when you hook up the coax? Do you have a visible hum bar in your analog picture? If not, what do you need an isolator for?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Are you talking about a "Surge Suppressor"-type, like usually has power outlets and phone jacks included?

Or, do you mean the "Ground Isolators" that have RF connectors on each end?

The "Ground Isolator" is a good idea if you have a clean sound system, and then get hum when you connect the Cable TV line to your set. It breaks the DC and low-frequency path on the shield.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Disregard my comment, I misread your question, and thought you were referring to cable elevators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.