AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to use p touch as have them at work and can borrow.

do you label all the cables with p touch prior to pulling them or temp label them, then pull, then label with p touch? thanks

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
going to use p touch as have them at work and can borrow.

do you label all the cables with p touch prior to pulling them or temp label them, then pull, then label with p touch? thanks
Pull then label, one at a time. If you label first good chance label get ripped off. If you pull and label one at a time it makes it easier to not mix up one run for another.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Sure, but doesn't have to be permanent at this point, I just use a piece of masking tape and a sharpie. When you are doing the finish, when u punch down both ends, that's when the permanent labels go on.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
If you mean as in run, then one at a time is fine, if you mean pull as in conduit, I would do them all at once.

You can always tone out any ones you are confused on.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If you mean as in run, then one at a time is fine, if you mean pull as in conduit, I would do them all at once.

You can always tone out any ones you are confused on.
I meant as in run lol. One channel at a time I have been on the other end with 3 or 4 sets of cable poking out trying to figure out which one went to what, in my case it was HDMI cables lol

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull then label, one at a time. If you label first good chance label get ripped off. If you pull and label one at a time it makes it easier to not mix up one run for another.
But what if your pulling a few cable to one location? You wouldn't pull one at a time, correct?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
You wouldn't pull one at a time, correct?
Sometimes.

If you are able to measure with some accuracy how long the run is, can cut x Run of the same length and pull the whole bundle at once, since most likely everything is coming out of one box/roll, but sometimes you can't tell with certainty, so you run this one at a time.

Never pull hard, always allow gentle curves on bends.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
But what if your pulling a few cable to one location? You wouldn't pull one at a time, correct?
I would cause Im a dummy and would forget which cable is which lol. I mean if you mark them with like a sharpie or something first you should be fine and then attach labels afterwards. Im just forgetful I was running 5 identical HDMI cables from various sources to my AVR and had to double and triple check which was which and that was only running 6 or so feet. But when you have a mess of cables all in the same small area it's easy to mix them up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use a Brady BMP-21 Plus with 3/4" Nylon tape for all of my cable labeling.

Printer is about $100 and 20+ft roll of tape which does about 250 labels is $20 online.

If we are doing a large project with more than 200 pull I pre print them with a zebra thermal printer on sheets and go from there.

Another popular on for DIY is to use Ideal wire labels you can get in the electrical section of Home Depot or Lowes and keep a legend on what goes to what.

Last if I have nothing else I will use some white or red electrical tape and write on it with a sharpie.

Reactions: Pvr4Craig

·
Registered
690 Posts
Last time I pre-wired a house myself, I bought extra boxes/reels of wire, all different colors. Then I could pull a set of wires from each location and just mark the bundle. Wire is cheap, relatively speaking. I ended up pulling over 8000' of cable that weekend.

Later, when I was doing the finish work, I labeled each wire and organized then as needed.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You generally pull all wires from one location to the rack at once to save labor out of multiple cable boxes. We mark the cables with a sharpie first. Then, use a labeler post run to make it more decipherable.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Be prepared for sheetrock mud and paint spray to obscure some labels done at initial pulling. I'd make those temp labels with sharpie, label each cable in two locations so it has some immunity from paint etc, then at punchout put permanent labeling.

Because my electricians pulled a lot of stuff using the same color for multiple pulls at a time from common outlet location, I just have group labels. I'll have to tone out which cable is which within that group. A pain, but if using a cable tester it also gives you the chance to verify everything is properly terminated in a single pass.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use a Brady BMP-21 Plus with 3/4" Nylon tape for all of my cable labeling.

Printer is about $100 and 20+ft roll of tape which does about 250 labels is $20 online.

If we are doing a large project with more than 200 pull I pre print them with a zebra thermal printer on sheets and go from there.

Another popular on for DIY is to use Ideal wire labels you can get in the electrical section of Home Depot or Lowes and keep a legend on what goes to what.

Last if I have nothing else I will use some white or red electrical tape and write on it with a sharpie.

Agree with this post 100%. BMP-21 was the best cable labeling device I've ever bought. Very affordable compared to other options I tried, too. The labels with self-laminating tails are great.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
I have used the Rhino 5200. Rechargeable batteries, nice assortment of cartridges, doesn't break the bank.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
When I wired my place up, I made a nice diagram of the whole thing, I hope the next owner appreciate it (no he won't, he just wants a new kitchen, a new bath blah-blah), 'cuz when I bought my first house, naively asked the realtor, where can I find where these wires go, is this information archived in city hall? nope-nope-nope and nope. :(

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
When I wired my place up, I made a nice diagram of the whole thing, I hope the next owner appreciate it (no he won't, he just wants a new kitchen, a new bath blah-blah), 'cuz when I bought my first house, naively asked the realtor, where can I find where these wires go, is this information archived in city hall? nope-nope-nope and nope. :(
Just tape your wiring diagram up on the wall next to your rack. Maybe the new owner will take note before taking the diagram down. You will have done a kindness whether or not it is understood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts