AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a law that makes cable companies offer local channels cheap. I would like to use this in a complaint about Cox making people who just want the digital version of their local OTA stations pay $60 per month to get those channels. I should just have to pay for basic cable and for the STB. I mean it's not my fault there is a mountain in the way of the TV antennas and my house.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The cable companies used to offer a basic direct hook-up(no STB involved) at a low fee. This only included OTA channels on VHF and UHF. Any other channels (cable) now require the STB since it's up to the cable franchise to scramble these channels. The FCC only requires that local channels that are also available OTA remain unscrambles. So if you want the locals in DTV and not pay that fee you''re SOL

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the digital channels I'm talking about is OTA. I used to be able to get them but I moved and now there is a maountain in the way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe that you are referring to the "must carry" provisions.

Cable companies have to carry the local OTA broadcasts IF THE LOCAL STATION DEMANDS IT.

Most local stations don't want to invoke this clause, because they want the cable companies to pay them a fee for their content.

I know that here in Philadelphia, Comcast wants to provide the local CBS affiliate, but can't reach agreement with CBS Corporate (who owns the station). There's no way that CBS is going to invoke "must carry", and give up it's negotiating muscle. The large networks use this muscle to get the cable companies to carry their other, cable-only programming.

It's only the small, local stations that usually invoke "must carry".

Joe

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by garysi
The FCC only requires that local channels that are also available OTA remain unscrambles.
Well the local digital channels are available OTA so shouldn't that fall under the same rule.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lvthunder
Well the local digital channels are available OTA so shouldn't that fall under the same rule.
It should but I don't believe that it does yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.