AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some voices of experience on this. Gettig my cable list together. Was measuring from My equipment rack area to various points in basement- projector, TV etc. I was measuring straight lines plus drops.

What kind of fudge factor do I need- example one measure on the conservative side came in at 47'. Am I safe getting a 50 foot length of HDMI/component or do I do longer- then 75' would be way too long

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
IF I understand your measurement, 3' of slack over 47' is not much. Remember, you'll need room to pull equipment out to reach the connection points at the back. And, unless you plan to pull that cable really tight and secure it, there will slack along the run.

I was in the same boat. I was coming up with about 50' and really wanted 60 but could only find 75 at Monoprice, so I went with that. I figured since it was going to buried in the wall, I was better of with the longer run in case I ever need to move something.

Basically, always get cables (and extension cords AND ladders) longer than you THINK you'll need.

·
Registered
380 Posts
With HDMI at 50' lengths you may begin to run up against performance limitations that are very hard to predict without actually testing the cable between your devices BEFORE putting it into the wall. There are several factors in play here between the sending and receiving HDMI chipsets, possible in-wall interference from other sources and the bandwidth of the material you will be sending.

If you are determined to use HDMI you might be able to get away with a 50' run and then have 1' "port savers" on each end; there is a good chance that getting a 50' HDMI cable that will pass 1080p video and lossless audio codecs reliably is going to be one thick and unwieldy beast.

If it was ME, I would pull at least 2 runs of CAT6 along with whatever HDMI cable you go with as an insurance policy against whatever comes next. Also if the HDMI cable fails/is damaged at some point you can use an HDMI balun.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/20897272

Can you take some string and route it exactly where you will put your cable?

That will remove all doubt. I was so suprised when routing how much longer I needed than measured with tape measure and doing what I thought was a decent swag.

Ditto. Hopefully you installed conduit in case there are any issues.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I agree, add 2 lengths of category cable for HDMI runs of 50' or more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

I am planning on installing conduit and Cat 6 etc so hopefully I'm covered

Robert

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
They make measuring string/tape just for this. It has "foot marked" numerals throughout. Don't guess, use what the pros use. It's just called measuring string/measuring tape, any supply house will sell it. Typically, it comes in 3000' amounts
, I'm sure smaller are available. It doubles as a pull string as well. It doesn't stretch like typical string.

Good luck

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthompson10 /forum/post/20898367

Thanks everyone!I am planning on installing conduit and Cat 6 etc so hopefully I'm covered

Install the CAT6 runs and the HDMI cable outside of the conduit, use the conduit for future proof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.