AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the 3-in-1 tool from Parts Express and would like to start making some RCA cables but neither the tool nor the connectors came with any instructions. I think at a minimum I need to know what length to make the dielectric and the center conductor.

I tried twice already but the connectors just pull right off.

Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
There was a diagram on the PE web site describing how to strip the coax for the F type connector. From memory, I think it said about 1/4" each for center conductor and the dielectric. You use the same for the RCA (and BNC) connectors. You have to push fairly hard to get the cable all the way in (twisting helps). The outer jacket of the coax gets squeezed between the outer shell of the connector and the inner cylinder.

I messed up about 5 or 6 before I got the hang of it. Try testing that you get a signal with the cable before compressing the connectors.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I saw that Chip but it only mentions the F connector. Perhaps it's the same for all connectors.

I found this at another site. It may, however, only apply to that brand of connector.

http://firecontrolinc.com/downloads/18000.pdf

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got mine to work although I did burn through about 6-8 connectors before I figured it out. Remember how hard you have to jam the damn coax into the f-connectors? Well, you have to do the same thing to the RCA cables. I found it helps a lot to take the screw-in part that goes in the crimper and put it on the end of the RCA connector when you are holding it in your hand trying to jam the coax into the connector. You want to strip down to the conductor about 1/4" - 5/16", and the jacket gets stripped the same amount (assuming you are using the stripper tool from PartsExpress too - man does that thing work!). It doesn't hurt to then *carefully* use a razor blade to strip off an additional 1/8" of jacket on the cable to make it easier to jam into the connector. I seem to remember that folding the braid back didn't seem to help much, though you would think that it should. Its also pretty important to be using the right connector (e.g. the Quad connectors for quad shield, and regular RG-6 connectors for something like Belden 1694.) My last comment - yeah those directions &$*@ sucked - cost me about 15 bucks worth of wasted connectors.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ag96
I got mine to work although I did burn through about 6-8 connectors before I figured it out. Remember how hard you have to jam the damn coax into the f-connectors? Well, you have to do the same thing to the RCA cables. I found it helps a lot to take the screw-in part that goes in the crimper and put it on the end of the RCA connector when you are holding it in your hand trying to jam the coax into the connector. You want to strip down to the conductor about 1/4" - 5/16", and the jacket gets stripped the same amount (assuming you are using the stripper tool from PartsExpress too - man does that thing work!). It doesn't hurt to then *carefully* use a razor blade to strip off an additional 1/8" of jacket on the cable to make it easier to jam into the connector. I seem to remember that folding the braid back didn't seem to help much, though you would think that it should. Its also pretty important to be using the right connector (e.g. the Quad connectors for quad shield, and regular RG-6 connectors for something like Belden 1694.)
I use that stripper also, and that thing has paid for itself many times over. I'm using quad shield, and the connectors just don't fit unless you cut one layer of the braid down (carefully with a utility knife so you don't cut through the whole braid). The cable is just too thick to fit into the base of the connector properly, even though the connectors I have are considered "quad shield capable".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.