AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a directional coupler (not a splitter) for cable TV service so I can tap off one line for a cable modem (-6db) and have the other port be a pass through with no loss to feed the cable TV signal

these things are quite handy but very tough to find

if anyone has a link I would appreciate it!

Mark

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No passive device is going to give you no loss to the TV. There is always an insertion loss of a few dB. Blonder and Tongue mak directional coupler taps. And I am sure other companies do, too. Don't know of a sure online source. Or you may be able to find a local distributor. Or try www.tonercable.com.

·
Registered
259 Posts
just go to your cable company and ask for one. Round here they will most times give you one or sell you one cheaper then buying from a store if you can even find one.

Also there is no way to have a lossless tap on a passive system.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand about insertion loss- I assume the insertion loss is approx 1db and that is fine

actually I got a part number of what I am looking for- it just seems no one has just one or 2 for sale- just boxes of 200!:

Broadband Products Inc BDC1006D

it looks like a splitter but has one pass through port and the other port is -6db

tried calling Comcast: did not get too far!

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
I work for a telecommunictions company that also owns a subsidiary cable company. We have about 5,000 taps back in the warehouse. They range in value from -6dB to -30dB on the tap port. The pass-through port will have some insertion loss and this loss is dependent on the value of the tap, i.e., you will have more loss on the pass-through on a -6dB tap than on a -30dB tap. I actually measered the loss on the pass-through on a -6dB tap as -2.7 dB vs. -0.4 dB for a -30dB tap. PM me to arrange getting one.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.