AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not having much luck with the search feature so hopefully this isn't too basic a question but I want to wall mount a LCD TV. I'm not certain what the minimum number of cables I need is.

All the new TVs seem to be moving to HDMI so it seems natural to run that. Is there any reason I should run more than one?

Should I run component too?

Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I don't include cables for sound to the TV itself?

·
Registered
22 Posts
IRC:

HDMI cables carry sound and video with 1080p resolution and hi resolution digital sound . IT really depends on the video source components you have and how you will be hooking them up to your TV. If your cable box has hdmi output capability then by all means use hdmi instead of coax cable. If you have blu ray or dvd player with hdmi use that instead of the component cable and you will only need hdmi cables. The best quality low cost cables I use in my installs are from www.av-express.com . The only reason I could see why you would need component cables is if one of your source units does not have HDMI outputs.

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
What electronics are you hooking up to the TV? What is the length you will need? IMHO, with cables being so cheap, it's always better to run extra, including component, and maybe a standard RG6 coax.

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The length of travel is about 12'. There will be a DVD player, DVR cable box, and a surround sound receiver. The space to run wires is extremely small. That's why I wanted to figure out the smallest number I could use.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Does your DVD player have an HDMI output? How many HDMI inputs does your display have?

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you run only one HDMI you will eventually (or right away) need a HDMI switching receiver (= more costs).

i only ran 1 HDMI and 1 Component, 2 RCA, 1 VGA and 2 Cat5e. I wish I had run a 2nd HDMI and maybe even a 2nd Component. these cables are fairly inexpensive from monoprice.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts