AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new big screen HDTV. I won't be getting an HDTV tuner for a while, so I'm wondering if there a general consensus on which one (cable or dish) produces the best standard-definition picture quality on HDTV's?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Depends on your cable company. I did a test last year on our 42" plasma - switching being channels offered via cable and the same channels on D*.

Some channels seemed better on one, some on the other. I did not compare locals since we did not have locals via D*, just via cable.

Of course once we started watching HDTV - nothing else looked good. We get HDTV via BEV - the Canadian system. We can't get OTA where we live.

...mike

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
SAT is always better.

even if you ahve Digital Cable. With Digital cable they are tricking you.

Channels 1-100 are still analog and look bad.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
From a cost point, cable HD would probably be cheaper since you rent the box from them. With DBS you have to purchase the STB besides the Dish installation. If you went with Dish right now you'd also have to upgrade your Dish setup in a couple of months since Dish is moving their HD programming to a new orbital slot that the current hardware doesn't receive. Word/rumor is that DirecTV is also looking to use FSS slots to expand their service, which would mean a new dish for them also and who knows whatelse. So you might want to co with cable, if they have HD, to start with for a few months until the DBS companies settle down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.