AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently a DirecTV customer and getting ready to make the HD plunge. I don’t have a HD-capable sat box yet. I use a CRT projector that is capable of both 1080i and 720p. I also have access to digital cable (which currently is carrying a couple of HD channels.) Which medium offers better performance….sat or cable? Any reasons I should go to one or the other?

John

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think that your solution would depend on how you get local stations. If your cable company carries the local channels with the major networks in HD, then that is definitely the way to go. DirecTV doesn't carry any local stations in HD. However if your able to pick up the local stations off the air with an antenna, then DirecTV is fine for HBO, Showtime, and HD-Net. There is talk of more HD-Net channels and ESPN being added to DirecTV, but they could also be carried on your cable.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just my opinion. I believe the better combination is OTA and satellite if they are both available. Seems as if you always get more for your money with satellite. At least, in my area I do. And, for me, the quality of the non-HD channels is better over satellite. I find HD about same on the 3 with edge going to local OTA stations. Of course, during the next 2 years, cable may come on very strong with digital/HD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.