AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have Comcast and I'm not super happy with the service or the price. I'm thinking about going satellite. From what I hear Satellite generally has high picture quality. So are there any real drawbacks? Also which service is better? Right now I'm leaning towards Dishnetwork since it seems to work better with the R5000.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,753 Posts
In most all cases, Comcast HD is better than either Dish or DirecTV. You can record with the HD DVR and archive using Firewire to PC or D-VHS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro123456 /forum/post/0


Right now I have Comcast and I'm not super happy with the service or the price. I'm thinking about going satellite. From what I hear Satellite generally has high picture quality. So are there any real drawbacks? Also which service is better? Right now I'm leaning towards Dishnetwork since it seems to work better with the R5000.

Most often satellite transmits hd-light (1280x1080i vs 1920x1080i) Other than this reduced HD resolution (from satellite), I see no reason why pq should be any different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I've got both cable HD (TWC) and Dish (former Bronze package). I find myself watching Dish much more often due to the greater number of stations. I've compared HD shows on common channels (TNT for example) and I can't say I see any real diff. I'm running a Z5 so I'm limited to 720p so that may be why I'm seeing much diff.


HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,054 Posts
I have Dishnetwork and here in NY and it is much better than cablevision hd.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0


I have Dishnetwork and here in NY and it is much better than cablevision hd.

Not relevant.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uabcar /forum/post/0


I've got both cable HD (TWC) and Dish (former Bronze package). I find myself watching Dish much more often due to the greater number of stations. I've compared HD shows on common channels (TNT for example) and I can't say I see any real diff. I'm running a Z5 so I'm limited to 720p so that may be why I'm seeing much diff.


HTH

Not relevant.
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,753 Posts
The OP is asking about Comcast and DBS, not CV or TWC. Please keep on topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,414 Posts
Try OTA first, then compare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/0


In most all cases, Comcast HD is better than either Dish or DirecTV. You can record with the HD DVR and archive using Firewire to PC or D-VHS.

Unfortunetly most of the channels are encrypted so firewire isn't really an option. Unless there's a way around that.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top