AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Not sure if I am in the right place or not but wondering if someone can help or guide me.

My townhome has cat5 cable throughout to which my Comcast telephone and internet service are connected. I want to mount a flat panel TV in a room but there is no way to easily get coax cable to it.

Instead, I was thinking about purchasing a few of the Intellix component/cat5adapters and sending the video signal back out of the Comcast DVR through the intellix adapters / cat 5 to the TV

My quesiton is, will there be any issue having the video signal, telephone and internet service all going through the cat 5 cabling at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhall /forum/post/20781181

Guys,

Not sure if I am in the right place or not but wondering if someone can help or guide me.

My townhome has cat5 cable throughout to which my Comcast telephone and internet service are connected. I want to mount a flat panel TV in a room but there is no way to easily get coax cable to it.

Instead, I was thinking about purchasing a few of the Intellix component/cat5adapters and sending the video signal back out of the Comcast DVR through the intellix adapters / cat 5 to the TV

My quesiton is, will there be any issue having the video signal, telephone and internet service all going through the cat 5 cabling at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

See the "Home A/V Distribution" forum for more info / discussion...

But the short answer is that the HD-over-cat5 baluns such as the Intellix are a point-to-point solution using dedicated cat5 cable(s). With the exception of the JustAddPower device, they are NOT "Ethernet". Meaning you cannot plug them into a switch/router....

But you can use them to send HDMI or Component video from one place to another. Some products use 1 cat5/cat6 cable, others require 2 cables.

The JuistAddPower product is an HDMI-over-Ethernet solution, and while relatively expensive (compared to a 'regular' HDMI balun), may suit your situation...

Hope that helps,

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts