AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a Mitsubishi HC1500

and plan on using an over the air HD cable box to get local HD channels. I will also use my computer for Blue-ray movies and HD AVI movies. my new computer will use an ATI 4850 video card.

Which cable should I use to run to my projector about 14 feet from my sources? The ATI cards can output 720P over the supplied component cable but they also have DVI outputs so I was thinking of getting this DVI to HDMI cable.

how is this one? -> http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Also I will be a Samsung DVD-HD841 DVD Player for DVDs and using the player to up convert them to 720P over DVI.

So does this setup sound ok with just a DVI to HDMI cable or do I need a component also? Also how is that DVD player for up converting? I have read many different opinions. Some people say the blacks and shadow detail are not good.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Why not just use your computer to upscale the DVDs too. That cable will work just fine, but since you need to attach your cable box as well, I would attach both the cable box and the computer to an HDMI switch like this and then attach the switch to the projector via HDMI.

One other thing to remember, your video card is most likely not HDCP compliant, so some movies may not play over it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you can't do HDMI I would go component. Like mentioned above, you might have issues with a DVI/HDMI converter.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/14343917

Why not just use your computer to upscale the DVDs too. That cable will work just fine, but since you need to attach your cable box as well, I would attach both the cable box and the computer to an HDMI switch like this and then attach the switch to the projector via HDMI.

One other thing to remember, your video card is most likely not HDCP compliant, so some movies may not play over it.

This is what I did. PC to Pj via DVI to HDMI cable to a HDMI switch box, works fine.

If your Video card is not HDCP AnyDVD will take care of that.

Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My video card IS HDCP complaint so for now at least I will just buy a HDMI cable and use the supplied DVI to HDMI adapter that is included with the video card. But I have another question. Can I use this adaptor on other devices such as my DVD player or future external HD sources or is it just for the graphics card?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts