AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the prices of component video cables dropping, I can get a component cable from the manufacturers high end line for less than the manufacturer's basic line of analog audio interconnects. My question is can I purchase 2 sets of component cables and then repurpose them into 3 sets of standard analog cables? How would it sound?

My understanding is that you can't use analog audio interconnect cables for video but you can use component video for audio. Really want to know how component video cables will sound if I use them for analog audio.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
yes.

assuming they have continuity (i.e. they aren't broken), and they are long enough (i.e. they reach the jack on both pieces of equipment), they will "sound" like any other cable...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sure you can. It's all wire and there are some good component cables with as much as 12 guage all copper conductors and heavy insulation. That's good stuff (but you don't need "Monster" cabling - that's overpriced good stuff, IMO)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
But if it costs more than just buying the cables from somewhere like BlueJeansCables -> don't do it.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
heck, i've used pack-ins with no problems...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken54321 /forum/post/19517749

With the prices of component video cables dropping, I can get a component cable from the manufacturers high end line for less than the manufacturer's basic line of analog audio interconnects. My question is can I purchase 2 sets of component cables and then repurpose them into 3 sets of standard analog cables? How would it sound?

Sure, that would work and sound fine. But before you bother, you should realize that there will be no difference in sound quality between their basic and high end lines.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/19519570

Sure, that would work and sound fine. But before you bother, you should realize that there will be no difference in sound quality between their basic and high end lines.

So are you saying that it doesn't matter what level componenet cable I get it will sound the same when using it as analog audio? Would the same be true if I purchased the higher end audio cables for audio?

In other words, are you saying that there is no difference in sound because they are just video cables? Or no difference in sound regardless of audio or video cable?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
They will sound the same, whether it's audio or video cables. If you already have cables, there's no reason to change them, unless you need a different length, or they're broken. There really is no such thing as a wire "upgrade".

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
In other words, are you saying that there is no difference in sound because they are just video cables? Or no difference in sound regardless of audio or video cable?
Unless the run is particularly long, or noise is a severe issue in your environment (unlikely in the home), then it really won't matter any which way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19524209

Unless the run is particularly long, or noise is a severe issue in your environment (unlikely in the home), then it really won't matter any which way.

The run is only 4 ft, but everything is home run throughout the house to that particular location. Have had issues with noise before.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I see the only problem with video cables - they are designed for low impedance circuits (75 Ohm). Their inductance and capacitance reflect it. I think that they will work well with high level signals (like one from CD player), bot they won't be my choice when deal with low level signal from turntable. For low level or high impedance circuits you need double shielded twisted pair. I never saw video cable made that way.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1
I see the only problem with video cables - they are designed for low impedance circuits (75 Ohm). Their inductance and capacitance reflect it. I think that they will work well with high level signals (like one from CD player), bot they won't be my choice when deal with low level signal from turntable. For low level or high impedance circuits you need double shielded twisted pair. I never saw video cable made that way.
Characteristic impedance doesn't matter if the load is high impedance. ie. a bridging load....which is the case with unbalanced, consumer audio.

Signal level doesn't play a part.

Capacitive and inductive reactance at audio frequencies is very low....it doesn't play a part.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/19527300

This just isn't so. What matters in an unbalanced audio connection is shielding and capacitance. 75ohm coax will inherently have low capacitance, making it very appropriate for audio cabling, and is usually very well-shielded if it's good coax (not all is).

Twisted pair construction doesn't really provide any benefits here, though can be equally well-utilized if well-shielded.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Using good quality video cables as analog interconnects will finally enable you to see the music.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts