AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending quest to improve PQ from the DirecTV Sat feed, I came across Monster Cables website. Their top of the line M Series S-Video cable featured something they call "Digital Artifacts Reduction Circuitry". It struck be as something different because it is an actual piece of circuitry built into the cable vs. simply better shielding or materials.

Initial impression feels like a gimmick. But the whopping price makes me think twice. ($200 for 2M feed). Is such a thing even possible (reduction of digital artifacts) through simple passive circuitry?

Would this interfere with the Noise Reduction filter on my NEC plasma.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A semi-educated guess, based on my total cynicism about anything made by Monster. (Their mumbo-jumbo about speaker wires is really offensive to anyone who knows anything about transmission line theory) Their $200 cable probably has a 50 cent filter that rolls off the high-frequency response a little. This would produce a slightly softer picture, which would also tend to take the sharp edge off artifacts and excessive edge enhancement. Of course you could get the same effect by cranking your sharpness control well down below neutral.

·
Registered
234 Posts
THANKS Spoffo !!!! Call attention to the snake-oil !!!!!!

Not likely you would see any inprovement, especially

from a passive device. As Spoffo said, It could be a cheap

filter that might cut out some noise, but also cut out some

detail. Save your money and avoid the snake-oil !!!

Try the simplest things first- change settings. A video

processor probably would be the way to go as it could

affect changes to your picture in the DIGITAL DOMAIN,

but it will cost you from 200-300 $ on up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.