AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently experimenting w/ the hook up of my NEC LT150. I've found that you get a considerably better picture going direct from the dvd to the NEC, rather than thru the rcvr(Yamaha RV-X800). But what I found surprising is that the picture had better clarity, and colors were better w/ a 6' s-vid over a 20' component to rgb cable. Does length of cable really degrade the picture that much? Or do I have a bad component/rgb cable?(got it at a2zcables.com). Even my wife could tell the dif. I thought the component/rgb cable was supposed to be better than the s-vid. Is there additional calibration necessry w/ component/rgb cables?

Thanks for any input.

Dan

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Actually, it all depends on the video source. It sounds like you are feeding the projector interlaced video and depending upon the built-in line doubler circuit - not a good choice.

Theory says that the three common types of consumer video interfaces in order of ascending potential image quality are composite video, S-video, and component video. However, if the source material has been broadcast over-the-air (which uses composite video to modulate the RF carrier) then the composite input might well be the best choice for that material. DVDs are stored in a format very close in form to standard component video and that would indeed be the best choice if your display were interlaced, but an LT150 is a "progressive scan" display.

You need to catch up on your Forum homework but the alternatives to display DVDs on the LT150 in descending order by quality are:

Best - HTPC with DVD-ROM drive and a good software decoder, driving the display at native XGA resolution via RGBHV (aka the VGA interface).

Good - Standalone DVD player with external scaler/line doubler that can drive the projector at XGA resolution via RGBHV or progressive component video.

OK - Progressive DVD player driving the projector in 480p video mode via progressive component video, and depending upon the projector scaler for scaling to XGA.

Worst - Interlaced DVD player driving the projector via S-video or component video inputs.

The LT150 is basicly a business presentation projector and the best quality interface is therefore a PC, not consumer A/V gear (unless that gear is of the highest quality with the appropriate video interface types).

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Also, whether you pray at the cable alter ($300/ft) or not, shielding and reflections play a role in longer cable lengths. I'm guessing your 20' component cable is not shielded as well as your s-vid or is put in contact with a worse environment. Does it come very close to an RF generator (ie a power line, lamp, fan, etc.) or do you have the excess length coiled?

If this is a brand new cable, try reseating the connections, too. Sounds dumb but it has worked in the past. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

EDIT: correct spelling

------------------

Huck

[This message has been edited by Huckster (edited 09-04-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.